Pro Spotting (again)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark Fennell, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    So I'm riding up Gibralter Rd. (a 4kft climb) today after the Sunday Worlds and there are way more
    people along the road than usual. And lots of them have cameras. I'm thinking something's up, and
    it's sure as hell not that they want to see some masters fattie struggling up the hill. Then one guy
    yells out that the USPS guys are climbing up ten minutes behind me. Hmmm, slow down and wait or keep
    cruising? Not wanting to deal with the etiquette conundrum of what to do if they caught me--i.e.,
    hang on or just let them by--I kept going, across the top and down the other side.

    Well half way down the hill I finally decided to stop and see what's coming. Turns out it was the
    USPS "classics team" and they were out on a six-hour ride from Solvang to Santa Barbara and back the
    hilly way. Coincidentally, my friend Evan was climbing the hill also and they came up behind him and
    he decided to hang on the back. Nobody suggested he drop off and let them go so he didn't. He said
    they were really drilling it and one-by-one about half of them got popped off the back. (He hung on
    but then again he's a very good cat 1 roadie from Colorado.)

    Certainly most of the fans that made the drive up the winding road were hoping to see Lance, and I
    bet half of them don't know that they didn't! Also, rumor has it that there have been 20-30 people
    on their bikes each day waiting outside the USPS hotel in Solvang hoping to get to ride with the
    team, and another huge bunch there just looking for autographs and memorabilia.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    I wrote:

    > So I'm riding up Gibralter Rd. ...blah-blah-blah ...

    > Well half way down the hill I finally decided to stop and see what's coming. Turns out it was the
    > USPS "classics team" ...blah-blah-blah...

    > ...blah-blah-blah... Certainly most of the fans that made the drive up the winding road were
    > hoping to see Lance, and I bet half of them don't know that they didn't!

    Well, now I'm told that I'm the idiot and the "tour-team" half of the camp was in fact a little
    farther back doing the same ride. I guess I was a little too impatient!

    Mark