Problem downloading from powertap

Austin Flyer

May 5, 2007
I've had my powertap for about 3 weeks now and have downloaded my workouts with no problem. Today I happened to spend 2 hours peforming my initial 5 minute, 1 minute and 15 second power profile tests and was anxious to download the data.

However I now get "Unable to open COM6". File not recognized.

I have tried rebooting my computer, and even re-installed cycling peaks WKO to no avail. I hooked up my external harddrive which is USB driven to the port I was using and it connected properly.

• Could my workout file be corrupted?
  • Is there possibly some other program hogging that port? If so how do I free up the comm port?
My next trouble-shooting idea is to clear the data, hook up my computer to my bike and spin the wheels to collect some data to see if it will download that workout, but I don't want to lose my hard earned data!!!

Any help will be appreciated.

Powertap SL Cycling Peaks +WKO

Are you sure it's on COM6?

I had the same problem initially, and what I ended up doing was using the Cycle Ops software to identify which port my PT was plugged into. I then changed WKO's port option to that port (in my case COM4) - and viola, the data was good to go.

Also, not to insult your intelligence, but is the PT head unit on? Is it going into "host" mode?

Snuffleupagus said:
Are you sure it's on COM6?

I had the same problem initially, and what I ended up doing was using the Cycle Ops software to identify which port my PT was plugged into. I then changed WKO's port option to that port (in my case COM4) - and viola, the data was good to go.

Also, not to insult your intelligence, but is the PT head unit on? Is it going into "host" mode?
That's the thing, it's been hooked up to the same port for 3 weeks and then this problem started happening. And I do ensure that the head unit is on and says, HOST.

Possibly a firewall issue? Anyone have a similiar problem?

UPDATE: I took your advice and installed the Cycle Ops software to see which port it belonged to, but it kept saying "Device Not found".

hallo,

I have similar problems to download from the PT to my laptop. On my laptop the I get the error "unable to open COM11" or some times "unable to open COM12" or I get the the message "Device Not found". I got it run once after I deinstalled all other bluetooth devices, but the next time I started the laptop again the same problem.

Now I am uising the computer of my wife and allmost no download problems. Only that the serial connection fails every second download and I have to start the download again.

By the way, it is a shame that a divice which costed 1500,-€ uses the serial COM port. 5 minutes download time for a 5h workout is much too long!!

BergHügi said:
hallo,

I have similar problems to download from the PT to my laptop. On my laptop the I get the error "unable to open COM11" or some times "unable to open COM12" or I get the the message "Device Not found". I got it run once after I deinstalled all other bluetooth devices, but the next time I started the laptop again the same problem.

Now I am uising the computer of my wife and allmost no download problems. Only that the serial connection fails every second download and I have to start the download again.

By the way, it is a shame that a divice which costed 1500,-€ uses the serial COM port. 5 minutes download time for a 5h workout is much too long!!
I don't know about you, but my occassional problems stem from my forgetting to click on the PT unit to awaken it before downloading. Simply clicking the PT computer to awaken it doesn't work. You have to reselect the port, close WKO+, re-open WKO+. That seems to reset the error.

This is really P**** me off. I performed the download testing function on the unit where you create a small file, short out 2 of the pins to see if the transaction is correct and it worked fine.

I cleared my hard earned file DAMMIT!! and then spun the wheels to create a new file, but still "Unable to download from COM6"> No file recognized.

I downloaded poweragent on my daughters computer, with the same error. I don't know if there's a connection test I can do through Windows XP, but I'm under the impression I have a bad head unit. Is there anything else I can try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried all of them. Currently I unplugged all USB connections to my computer except the cycleops download cradle to continue to trouble-shoot this issue.

So is the new 2007 cpu cradle usb or serial? It comes with a USb connector, do I need to get a serial adapter? Is that the problem? This is a wild shot, because it worked with the USB connector only for about 3 weeks.

Update: Out of frustration, I took the powertap to a local computer shop. The technician tried hooking it up to his computer and had the same problems. He concluded that the problem was with the unit or the cradle.

I called Saris and the customer support tech said they've never had a problem with the CPU units, but that the culprit was the cradle. So they are going to replace the cradle. So between now and the time I get the cradle I'll just have to settle with no downloaded data. That sucks! Hopefully the guy was right.

I sent my powertap cradle 1 day delivery, got it back overnight from Saris and the cradle was infact bad. Works great now!!

Austin Flyer said:
I sent my powertap cradle 1 day delivery, got it back overnight from Saris and the cradle was infact bad. Works great now!!
I take it you're happy now?:p

Perhaps more people should just contact Saris wth technical problems in the first place. They are pretty helpful.

Alex Simmons said:
I take it you're happy now?:p

Perhaps more people should just contact Saris wth technical problems in the first place. They are pretty helpful.
Yes, I'm glad to be done with the current bout of frustration and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future that experiences the same problem.