Problem Fitting New Pads to Hope Minis

mastersong

Sep 9, 2003
I’ve just bought some new sintered pads for my hope Minis and can’t get the pistons far enough apart to get the rotor spinning freely when I put the wheel back in.

The manual suggests gently prising the pistons back into the calliper using a tire lever which I have tried but, when I push one side in, the other starts to slide out again. If I get one side flush with the calliper, the other is about 1-2mm proud.

Is there something else I need to do to get both piston flush with the caliper or are they meant to sit proud of it? Do I need to bleed the system? Do the sintered pads fit the minis or should I revert to normal pads?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Having solved the original problem of getting the pistons back into the calipers by bleeding the brake :), I have now succumbed to a second problem. :mad:

As I try to bleeed the brake, the fluid does not flow through the nipple and up the bleed hose but comes up the thread of the nipple (where it joins the caliper) and spills out everywhere. Not only is this messy but, I can't see whether any air remains trapped.

I'm guessing that the nipple may be blocked or, is it that I need to unscrew it further? If its blocked, what's the best way to clear it?

Currently have no pressure in the brakes so I'm guessing that there is still a lot of air in there. Brakes are Hope Minis.

Any help appreciated.