Problems As A Cyclist?

mogibanks

Nov 27, 2015
what problems do avid bikers face often? Do you know of any solutions to those problems? My goal here is to take a problem, find a solution, and build a business around it.

A big problem I've experienced is some cyclists using roads when there are cycle lanes one a few yards to the side of them. Don't know if it's something to tackle but it frustrates me a bit because it's there for the purpose so use it.

I'd like to see prongs that can fit onto the ends of the handlebars that protrude outwards a little ways. Not too much but just enough so that if a driver tries and gets too close to you he ends up getting a scratched motor for the trouble.

Mr. Beanz said:
When I stand to climb then sit back down on the seat, I managed to small my nutty buddies a few times. Maybe invent a device to hold them in place so they don't move when I stand and pedal. :lol:
Yeah, I could an invention like this too hahah :D

Seriously, the only problem I could think of is traffic and the need to drive on the road sometimes and you can't really invent something that helps with that. Good luck to you, but I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

Mr. Beanz said:
When I stand to climb then sit back down on the seat, I managed to small my nutty buddies a few times. Maybe invent a device to hold them in place so they don't move when I stand and pedal. :lol:
You could always wear a cup but I don't think that will offer much comfort on long distances :D

Susimi said:
A big problem I've experienced is some cyclists using roads when there are cycle lanes one a few yards to the side of them. Don't know if it's something to tackle but it frustrates me a bit because it's there for the purpose so use it.

I'd like to see prongs that can fit onto the ends of the handlebars that protrude outwards a little ways. Not too much but just enough so that if a driver tries and gets too close to you he ends up getting a scratched motor for the trouble.
Good idea, now undisciplined motorists would be afraid to get near and cyclists will gain the proper respect they need on the road and city streets. I am planning a DIY of this so that I can scare off some jerk drivers.

It would work both ways I think in combatting jerk drivers and jerk cyclists.

It will prevent motorists coming just that little bit too close, and it will also prevent some cyclists that attempt to go through gaps that are just too narrow to get through.

Well, it would be nice to have a small camera installed behind the seat together with a durable, lightweight LCD screen on the handle bars. This way, it will be easy to spot traffic from behind without having to turn around to look. I already spotted another cyclist with such a setup, but it looks like something he put together himself. If there's an easy to install kit such as this available, I'm sure many cyclists would be interested.

I am having a problem with bike safety and theft. Is there a better solution to improving the lock system available in the market today? Is there a convenient and affordable way to do that?

Mr. Beanz said:
This made me smile because I recalled that my ex boyfriend was constantly complaining of this problem...At the time I thought he was just making fun, but now I can see that it indeed can be a great problem for you guys.

Also, I like the idea about the camera installed, but I am sure bikes sellers will definitely raise prices of bikes after having this device integrated on a bike.

For me individually, sometimes seats on my two bikes really bug me and make my butt hurt a lot. They seem to be very firm and stiff and very pointy on the front - I wish they were a bit softer. But, probably different bikes come with different seats, I just did not pay special attention to that when I purchased them.

Damien Lee said:
Well, it would be nice to have a small camera installed behind the seat together with a durable, lightweight LCD screen on the handle bars. This way, it will be easy to spot traffic from behind without having to turn around to look. I already spotted another cyclist with such a setup, but it looks like something he put together himself. If there's an easy to install kit such as this available, I'm sure many cyclists would be interested.
I have to admit that the idea is pretty innovative however I would say a more cost effect way to do it would be to have mirrors put on the bike that is about level with where your head naturally rests, that way all you have to do is glance to the left or the right for a looksie behind you rather than looking down at an LCD.

It would be great if we had a device or reconfiguration of the helmet that would reduce wind noise. This could be a low tech device but greatly enhance the ability to hear cars approaching from the rear or side.

My main problem is connected with safety too. In my city there are very few well-protected parking lots for bicycles. So, I usually have to worry about my bike.

I had one accident years ago when a car opened the door without looking stopped at a red light. I was passing bye and got hit by the door, so that's a problem, many times car users don't consider bikers.

jhuskey said:
It would be great if we had a device or reconfiguration of the helmet that would reduce wind noise. This could be a low tech device but greatly enhance the ability to hear cars approaching from the rear or side.
I'm thinking would a sort of extension of the helmet that extends down just before the ear and has a bulge that extends out slightly so that the wind gets deflected slightly away from the ear, would that be a help in any way would you think?

I'm basing it on how wind deflectors for cars look.

oportosanto said:
I had one accident years ago when a car opened the door without looking stopped at a red light. I was passing bye and got hit by the door, so that's a problem, many times car users don't consider bikers.
I have faced a same kind of situation a few months ago although I managed to avoid it just seconds from crashing.

moneyman said:
I have faced a same kind of situation a few months ago although I managed to avoid it just seconds from crashing.
I had a similar incident when I was younger but it was due to carelessness on my part which nearly caused me to be aquianted with the rear end of a parked car!

It's funny, because when I was trying to avoid it, as in steer out of the way, the handlebars felt like they were cemented in place.

The number one problem is crazy drivers. I live in a big city and people are very rude and inconsiderate when it comes to sharing the road. It's very dangerous so you have to watch out extra carefully when biking on roads.

mayasupernova said:
This made me smile because I recalled that my ex boyfriend was constantly complaining of this problem...At the time I thought he was just making fun, but now I can see that it indeed can be a great problem for you guys.

For me individually, sometimes seats on my two bikes really bug me and make my butt hurt a lot. They seem to be very firm and stiff and very pointy on the front - I wish they were a bit softer. But, probably different bikes come with different seats, I just did not pay special attention to that when I purchased them.
This might be over-sharing, but men have this problem as well. I don't know about the other guys, but when I go for a leisure ride i.e. I'm sitting the bike for few hours my crotch starts getting numb and that is a really weird feeling. Like when you fall asleep on your arm except it's your junk.