PT SL in the cold weather

grv

Jun 8, 2006
Cold weather will be upon us in the northeastern US before we know it, and I am headed into my first winter with my PT SL. I know Saris says 30 degrees F is the low end of operation for the PT, and I found this in the forums:

palewin said:
With Spring coming, my experience may be "moot" but the hub batteries seem to last way less than the "advertised" 250 hours in cold weather. In NJ winter (temps 20-35F) they fail completely below 25F (no surprise, they just can't generate enough juice at that temperature, and Saris suggests 30F as a low-end threshold) but I was going through a set of hub batteries in about one month (~40-50 hours). Hopefully in warmer weather I'll be closer to the Saris numbers. My cpu batteries seem to last longer than advertised (they say 100 hours, I've been changing them around 120 'just to be safe').
Anybody else have experience with what to expect from the PT in the winter time? Aside from sucking down batteries, can I hurt this thing by riding it in the cold?

Thanks.

I've ridden in the cold and Noah's ark rain with mine - and it hasn't skipped a beat. I did put a very light coating of pedro's grease on the threads of the cap, and that seems to have been able to keep all water out.

Just zero the unit out once the PT has reached outside temp, to do that I set the bike outside then finish getting ready, so when I'm ready the bike is pretty well "normalized" and is ready to be zero'd out.

HR