puch/ austro-diamler

mingcat9

Jun 9, 2004
I came across a vent noir by austro-diamler/ puch.
I believe it was from 1983 or 84, with campy parts. I already know it's not all that common and that's a step below the team frame. And that it has that special finish.
it's a super looking bike...with a cool name.

Any idea on its current and/or original value?

Yeah the finish on those frames is sweet - virtually indestructable. What variety of Campy parts are on the bike? If I remember correctly, the Vent Noir sold in $800.00+ range in the 80's. Nowadays depending on condition you could probably fetch a few hundred for it. I've seen a few come and go on Ebay for that amount.

Originally posted by shetzer
Yeah the finish on those frames is sweet - virtually indestructable. What variety of Campy parts are on the bike? If I remember correctly, the Vent Noir sold in $800.00+ range in the 80's. Nowadays depending on condition you could probably fetch a few hundred for it. I've seen a few come and go on Ebay for that amount.

it's actually in my grandparents' basement, it was my uncle's bike...he raced a lot in the early 80s. I think he bought the frame through the local bike shop and then built it or upgraded most, if not all the parts.

I haven't been over there lately to check what all the parts are on the bike. however, I am fairly sure it is campy record. I was curious how much he probably spent on the bike, and if it was worth much now.

also, how should the bike be cleaned? since it has been in a dusty basement for well over a decade. I think just a damp cloth with a little soap or bike cleaner would be fine, for the frame. My mother, on the other hand, believes it may need to be specially cleaned, because of the finish on the bike.

I would stick with soap and water. A little auto wax will bring out the shine on the finish nicely too.

Are you planning on ridng it or selling it? I think you'll be pleased with the feel of that Reynolds frame and Record components.

Also if it hasn't been ridden in a long time, you'll probably need to repack all of the bearings as the grease has likely turned solid.

Noo! not selling it.
I think it's too big for me to ride, though it'd be a excellent bike. I'm 5'4...my uncle was definately taller than that when he got the bike. I going to measure it and find out for sure. The more I find out about this bike the more I really want to ride it.

I was aware that if this bike was going to be used, it would need a number of the components relaced or restored. the headset would need to be replace/ restored as well, right?

thanks for the help. :)

Parts only need replacing if they're worn or are incompatible with new equipment you wish to install. If the headset is pitted, you'll have to replace it. You can tell if you feel notches when turning the handlebars. I'd repack it first and see how that works out. Cables, brake pads, and tires/tubes should be replaced if they haven't been used in a long time. Maybe a new chain, too. You should be able to get it road worthy with a small investment of time and cash.