Puch Vent Noir

Adam Rush

Guest
I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having an
unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out what
they did? Did anybody else use this technique?

>"Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having
>> an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out
>> what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
>
>This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
>http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm

It was black chrome. Phil Brown

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having
> > an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out
> > what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
>
> This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm

Too cool for words.

Someday, I and my Mixte Militiamen will retake the bicycle industry by force!

On that note, I just bought a trashed 80's Bianchi mixte for US$30. Campagnolo derailleurs and Selle
Italia saddle. Too bad it's pink...

"Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >"Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir
> >> having an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever
> >> find out what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
> >
> >This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
> >http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm
>
> It was black chrome. Phil Brown

Dang it ... now you got me thinking ...

I got a candy apple blood red guitar with black chrome hardware and it looks sweet, but I hadn't
thought about getting a bike in black chrome. I was thinking about painting my favorite steel frame
next year, but now ...

Does anyone know where I could get this done? There used to be a great chroming place around here,
but it seems all the old time restoration shops are closing down because of competition from other
countries.

I just finished reassembling that bike five minutes ago, after a total overhaul (c:

C.Q.C.

> It was black chrome. Phil Brown

If it was, then it was fairly easy to scratch. Black chrome wasn't nearly as scratch-resistant as
standard chrome, at least as used on bicycles. It was, however, more durable than most paint jobs.

m07.aol.com...

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:01:32 +0000, Q. wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could get this done? There used to be a great chroming place around here,
> but it seems all the old time restoration shops are closing down because of competition from other
> countries.

It's more than that. Chroming involves a lot of toxic waste disposal, which is a RPITA these days. I
tried to get my old track bike chromes 3 years ago, but no one would do it. Finally got a real
explanation from a guy, who at least agreed to chrome the fork, and powder the rest. Seems that a
bike frame, with all those tubes that have vent holes, creates contamination of the various baths
with the chemicals from the previous bath, shortening the lifespan of the solutions.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember _`\(,_ | that your initial
objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ (_)/ (_) |

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having
> > an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out
> > what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
>
> This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm

The Vent Noir featured in the photo was from the '77 catalog and has very nicely done flat black
paint with pinstriping done by hand, as does my 1977 Vent Noir. I have heard of this finish, and
seen photos of it, but it was not available in '77.