Puch Vent Noir

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam Rush, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having an
    unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out what
    they did? Did anybody else use this technique?

    Tags:

  2. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >"Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having
    >> an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out
    >> what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
    >
    >This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
    >http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm

    It was black chrome. Phil Brown

  3. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having
    > > an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out
    > > what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
    >
    > This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
    > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm

    Too cool for words.

    Someday, I and my Mixte Militiamen will retake the bicycle industry by force!

    On that note, I just bought a trashed 80's Bianchi mixte for US$30. Campagnolo derailleurs and Selle
    Italia saddle. Too bad it's pink...

  4. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >"Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir
    > >> having an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever
    > >> find out what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
    > >
    > >This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
    > >http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm
    >
    > It was black chrome. Phil Brown

    Dang it ... now you got me thinking ...

    I got a candy apple blood red guitar with black chrome hardware and it looks sweet, but I hadn't
    thought about getting a bike in black chrome. I was thinking about painting my favorite steel frame
    next year, but now ...

    Does anyone know where I could get this done? There used to be a great chroming place around here,
    but it seems all the old time restoration shops are closing down because of competition from other
    countries.

    I just finished reassembling that bike five minutes ago, after a total overhaul (c:

    C.Q.C.

  5. > It was black chrome. Phil Brown

    If it was, then it was fairly easy to scratch. Black chrome wasn't nearly as scratch-resistant as
    standard chrome, at least as used on bicycles. It was, however, more durable than most paint jobs.

    m07.aol.com...

  6. On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:01:32 +0000, Q. wrote:

    > Does anyone know where I could get this done? There used to be a great chroming place around here,
    > but it seems all the old time restoration shops are closing down because of competition from other
    > countries.

    It's more than that. Chroming involves a lot of toxic waste disposal, which is a RPITA these days. I
    tried to get my old track bike chromes 3 years ago, but no one would do it. Finally got a real
    explanation from a guy, who at least agreed to chrome the fork, and powder the rest. Seems that a
    bike frame, with all those tubes that have vent holes, creates contamination of the various baths
    with the chemicals from the previous bath, shortening the lifespan of the solutions.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember _`\(,_ | that your initial
    objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ (_)/ (_) |

  7. "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was just reading Sheldon's vintage lightweights page and saw a note about the Vent Noir having
    > > an unusual finish which couldn't be stratched (possibly hard-chromed). Did anybody ever find out
    > > what they did? Did anybody else use this technique?
    >
    > This doesn't answer your question, but it's a good pic of the bike:
    > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/AD_V_Noir.htm

    The Vent Noir featured in the photo was from the '77 catalog and has very nicely done flat black
    paint with pinstriping done by hand, as does my 1977 Vent Noir. I have heard of this finish, and
    seen photos of it, but it was not available in '77.