punctures, narrow tyres & commuting.

p cooper

Guest
as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles each way, road,
tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive gradually been reducing the size
of the tyres (resistance etc - seems logical to me)

Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the problem is
ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got a kevlar tyre & that green
band inside , so i dont think its penetration blowouts.
I've tried a variety of pressures between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure it
states on the tyre) and am still getting the problem , even replacing the
inner tube each time.
Im getting really hacked off with this.
Too narrow tyre?
wrong pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ?
anything else I dont know about ?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:52:47 GMT, p cooper
<[email protected]> wrote:

>as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles each way, road,
>tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive gradually been reducing the size
>of the tyres (resistance etc - seems logical to me)
>
>Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the problem is
>ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got a kevlar tyre & that green
>band inside , so i dont think its penetration blowouts.
>I've tried a variety of pressures between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure it
>states on the tyre) and am still getting the problem , even replacing the
>inner tube each time.
>Im getting really hacked off with this.
>Too narrow tyre?
>wrong pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ?
>anything else I dont know about ?

Can you describe the punctures? Where are they on the tube- inner,
outer, side? A tear, a couple of dots, a single hole? Does the
location in relation to the tire change, or is it always in the same
location?

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:52:47 GMT, p cooper
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles each way, road,
> >tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive gradually been reducing the

size
> >of the tyres (resistance etc - seems logical to me)
> >
> >Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the problem is
> >ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got a kevlar tyre & that

green
> >band inside , so i dont think its penetration blowouts.
> >I've tried a variety of pressures between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure

it
> >states on the tyre) and am still getting the problem , even replacing the
> >inner tube each time.
> >Im getting really hacked off with this.
> >Too narrow tyre?
> >wrong pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ?
> >anything else I dont know about ?

> Can you describe the punctures? Where are they on the tube- inner,
> outer, side? A tear, a couple of dots, a single hole? Does the
> location in relation to the tire change, or is it always in the same
> location?

May be he should read the Bicycle FAQ:

More flates on rear tire:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-5.html

Blow outs and sudden flats:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-2.html

Blown tubes:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-3.html

snakebite flats:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-1.html

or tube failure in clincher tires:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-4.html

"p cooper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles each way, road,
> tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive gradually been reducing the size
> of the tyres (resistance etc - seems logical to me)
>
> Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the problem is
> ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got a kevlar tyre & that green
> band inside , so i dont think its penetration blowouts.
> I've tried a variety of pressures between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure it
> states on the tyre) and am still getting the problem , even replacing the
> inner tube each time.
> Im getting really hacked off with this.
> Too narrow tyre?
> wrong pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ?
> anything else I dont know about

Once I was having this problem until i noticed a tiny piece of glass had
worked its way through the tread and imbedded itself in the tire, putting a
slow leak in each new tube. You might check the tire carefully.

Hi,

I'm starting to get back into cycling and was thinking of getting new pedals.
The ones that don't use toe straps. Could anyone give me some recommendations?
I don't need top of the line stuff. Also, do the shoe and the pedal have to be
the same brand or are they interchangable?

Thanks
Dan

"dreaded" wrote: (clip) a tiny piece of glass had
> worked its way through the tread and imbedded itself in the tire, (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^
The giveaway clue here would be that the leak occurs in the same place each
time (possibly in two places, if you are randomly reversing the tube.
Pretty hard not to notice this, since you would be laying patches on top of
patches.

"DLCRCF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to get back into cycling and was thinking of getting new

pedals.
> The ones that don't use toe straps. Could anyone give me some

recommendations?
> I don't need top of the line stuff. Also, do the shoe and the pedal have

to be
> the same brand or are they interchangable?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

I use crank brothers "egg beaters" for city use. they are easy to get in and
out of, easy to clean, inexpensive, and have a little bit of free float. if
you want shoes that you can walk around in you can get ones with a recessed
cleat. SPD style shoes will work with the egg beaters as well as the shimano
pedals, there are lots of ones with a recessed cleat. when i got the shoes
and pedals I had the tech help me get the cleat angle perfect (he used a
plumb off my knee while i was pedaling). if you have a pedal with a lot of
float you dont really need to do this, but i recommend if you have any knee
issues.
hope this helps.

ya i finally figured that out after three tubes. felt like a dillweed.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "dreaded" wrote: (clip) a tiny piece of glass had
> > worked its way through the tread and imbedded itself in the tire, (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^
> The giveaway clue here would be that the leak occurs in the same place

each
> time (possibly in two places, if you are randomly reversing the tube.
> Pretty hard not to notice this, since you would be laying patches on top

of
> patches.

In article <[email protected]>,
"dreaded" <[email protected]> writes:

> Once I was having this problem until i noticed a tiny piece of glass had
> worked its way through the tread and imbedded itself in the tire, putting a
> slow leak in each new tube. You might check the tire carefully.

Another cause is often a short, cut-off strand of inner cable
inside the tire, accidentally picked up off a shop floor.

At any rate, I'd suggest to the original poster that he should
feel around the interior of the tire for sharp foreign objects.
A cotton ball can be used if there is worry about pricking a
fingertip; the cotton ball would palpably snag on any
offending material.

cheers,
Tom