punctures, narrow tyres & commuting.

P Cooper

Guest
as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles
each way, road, tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive
gradually been reducing the size of the tyres (resistance
etc - seems logical to me)

Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the
problem is ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got a
kevlar tyre & that green band inside , so i dont think its
penetration blowouts. I've tried a variety of pressures
between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure it states on the tyre)
and am still getting the problem , even replacing the inner
tube each time. Im getting really hacked off with this. Too
narrow tyre? wrong pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ? anything else
I dont know about ?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:52:47 GMT, p cooper
<[email protected]> wrote:

>as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles
>each way, road, tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive
>gradually been reducing the size of the tyres (resistance
>etc - seems logical to me)
>
>Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the
>problem is ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got a
>kevlar tyre & that green band inside , so i dont think its
>penetration blowouts. I've tried a variety of pressures
>between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure it states on the
>tyre) and am still getting the problem , even replacing the
>inner tube each time. Im getting really hacked off with
>this. Too narrow tyre? wrong pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ?
>anything else I dont know about ?

Can you describe the punctures? Where are they on the tube-
inner, outer, side? A tear, a couple of dots, a single hole?
Does the location in relation to the tire change, or is it
always in the same location?

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:52:47 GMT, p cooper
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles
> >each way, road, tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive
> >gradually been reducing the
size
> >of the tyres (resistance etc - seems logical to me)
> >
> >Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where
> >the problem is ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive
> >got a kevlar tyre & that
green
> >band inside , so i dont think its penetration blowouts.
> >I've tried a variety of pressures between 70 psi and 115
> >( the pressure
it
> >states on the tyre) and am still getting the problem ,
> >even replacing the inner tube each time. Im getting
> >really hacked off with this. Too narrow tyre? wrong
> >pressures ( FWIW im 89Kg) ? anything else I dont know
> >about ?
>
> Can you describe the punctures? Where are they on the tube-
> inner, outer, side? A tear, a couple of dots, a single
> hole? Does the location in relation to the tire change, or
> is it always in the same location?

May be he should read the Bicycle FAQ:

More flates on rear tire: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-
5.html

Blow outs and sudden flats: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-
2.html

Blown tubes: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-
3.html

snakebite flats: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-
1.html

or tube failure in clincher tires: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-
4.html

"p cooper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> as a commuting cyclist i use my (trek) bike just 7 miles
> each way, road, tarmaced path & uneven paving slabs. Ive
> gradually been reducing the size of the tyres (resistance
> etc - seems logical to me)
>
> Ive got 700x25 (schwalbe) on the back - which is where the
> problem is ive been having punctures approx 2/wk- ive got
> a kevlar tyre & that green band inside , so i dont think
> its penetration blowouts. I've tried a variety of
> pressures between 70 psi and 115 ( the pressure it states
> on the tyre) and am still getting the problem , even
> replacing the inner tube each time. Im getting really
> hacked off with this. Too narrow tyre? wrong pressures (
> FWIW im 89Kg) ? anything else I dont know about

Once I was having this problem until i noticed a tiny piece
of glass had worked its way through the tread and imbedded
itself in the tire, putting a slow leak in each new tube.
You might check the tire carefully.

Hi,

I'm starting to get back into cycling and was thinking of
getting new pedals. The ones that don't use toe straps.
Could anyone give me some recommendations? I don't need top
of the line stuff. Also, do the shoe and the pedal have to
be the same brand or are they interchangable?

Thanks Dan

"dreaded" wrote: (clip) a tiny piece of glass had
> worked its way through the tread and imbedded itself in
> the tire, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^ The giveaway clue here would be that the leak
occurs in the same place each time (possibly in two
places, if you are randomly reversing the tube. Pretty
hard not to notice this, since you would be laying patches
on top of patches.

In article <[email protected]>,
"dreaded" <[email protected]> writes:

> Once I was having this problem until i noticed a tiny
> piece of glass had worked its way through the tread and
> imbedded itself in the tire, putting a slow leak in each
> new tube. You might check the tire carefully.

Another cause is often a short, cut-off strand of inner
cable inside the tire, accidentally picked up off a
shop floor.

At any rate, I'd suggest to the original poster that he
should feel around the interior of the tire for sharp
foreign objects. A cotton ball can be used if there is worry
about pricking a fingertip; the cotton ball would palpably
snag on any offending material.

cheers, Tom