pursuit genes

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by legs gone, Feb 18, 2004.

1. legs gone

legs gone New Member

Does one need to have the genes for the 4k pursuit or can one compete at the words with the right training.

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

I think the correct genes would help, but I have no doubt that many people could compete at the worlds with the correct training over many years. Obviously poor genes would hold you back.

The characteristics required for success in pursuiting are similar to those needed for other endurance events; hence why many Tour de France riders or riders in other track endurance events do so well.

3. legs gone

legs gone New Member

what type of training is needed for pursuit

4. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Well you need the right skills, a good aerodynamic position and the training to raise your VO2 max & LT (similar training to road racers and time trial riders; only adapted for pursuit).

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

enough volume and intensity to raise your power to mass ratio to ~7.65 W/kg (that's about world record pace).

Basically, you need to bring your LT, TTpower, and MAP to very high levels.

do you have any idea what your power output is currently, or where you are fitness wise (e.g. have you ever ridden any UCI 1.x or 2.x races?)

ric

6. acoggan

acoggan Member

Let's not forget anaerobic capacity, which on average accounts for ~25% of total energy production in a 3k and ~15% of total energy production in a 4k.

7. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Oh yes, I remember the burn of all those standing starts, short intevals and lactate stacking sessions from when I was a junior!!!!

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

whilst i've never done a pursuit, i've done enough of the above practising for hill climbs (which are generally around 3 to 4 mins in the UK). nice fun... ;-)

ric

9. nitrogenmustard

nitrogenmustard New Member

i just tell myself i can and put up with the pain.

10. velomanct

velomanct New Member

anything is possible with the right training and lifestyle. success just come easier to some people.

11. acoggan

acoggan Member

Anything? Half of the variability between individuals in VO2max is apparently due to genetic factors. Furthermore, of the remaining 50% that is due to environmental factors (e.g., training/lifestyle), about half of *that* seems to be due to gene-environment interaction effects (think of it as "sensitivity to training" if that helps). Only about 25% of the variation in VO2max is completely under our control.

As the saying goes: if you want to be an elite athlete, start by picking your parents wisely.

12. velomanct

velomanct New Member

i just like to think that anything is possible. i know i don't have the genetics of great racers, but its a dream of mine to race pro.(im 19)

13. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

You really don't know that you can't reach a certain level until you've put everything you can into achieving it. Don't say you don't have the genetics of a great racer - perhaps you will adapt well to certain sorts of training. Not everything is possible, but I think 2LAP has made the point before (and I'd agree) that not many individuals are trained to their full capacity, this suggests that a lot may be possible, if not everything.