Puy de Dome - never again ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ed, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Will Le Tour never again finish a stage up the Puy de Dome?
    I know it's a toll road now and if you want to ride up it
    you have a brief window starting at 7am in which to do it,
    otherwise bikes are banned. I found this out the hard way
    during a trip through France, so I never did have the
    "pleasure" of grunting up its hallowed 15% slopes (where
    Eddy Merckx was famously assaulted by a spectator). I would
    have thought Jean-Marie had the clout have the rules bent,
    or is there another reason it's been neglected as a
    spectacular mountain-top stage finish in recent decades?

    Nice photo:

    perso.club-internet.fr/decobed/Pariou.html

    Tags:

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Ed, Do you know if it is possible to ride the Puy de Dome
    every day before
    7:00, or just some days?

  3. Jg

    Jg Guest

    Isn't one of the reasons (maybe the major reason, I don't
    know) that the region is not financially advanced as other
    regions to campaign to host a Tour stage.

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ed, Do you know if it is possible to ride the Puy de Dome
    > every day before
    > 7:00, or just some days?

  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    That was 1998, so worth checking with a local tourist
    office. But I think it was 7am - 8.30 or 9am weekdays. Have
    fun in your little chainring.