Q-Factor Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lewdvig, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. lewdvig

    lewdvig Guest

    I found a decent thread in this group from 2000 with some useful
    information, but I need a bit more detail.

    I am currently riding a Pinarello Asolo with older 105 double cranks (after
    the grey series - late nineties). They seem quite wide, and even with my
    pedals cleat adjusted to minimize the q-factor they still semm wide.

    Looking for a lower profile crank set. Would the current 105 be better?

    It is a gorgeous bike that probably deserves Dura Ace or Chorus parts - I
    might just do that if the BB+crank are going to be sufficiently thinner.

    Tags:

  2. lewdvig wrote:

    > I found a decent thread in this group from 2000 with some useful
    > information, but I need a bit more detail.
    >
    > I am currently riding a Pinarello Asolo with older 105 double cranks (after
    > the grey series - late nineties). They seem quite wide, and even with my
    > pedals cleat adjusted to minimize the q-factor they still semm wide.
    >
    > Looking for a lower profile crank set. Would the current 105 be better?
    >
    > It is a gorgeous bike that probably deserves Dura Ace or Chorus parts - I
    > might just do that if the BB+crank are going to be sufficiently thinner.

    I thought 105 went from 1055 (champagne or "grey" painted finish)
    straight to the Hollowtech cranks with the yellow logo. The latest ones
    have a black logo, presumably because yellow clashes with some frames
    (like my celeste road bike).

    The current 105 cranks might be worth the upgrade simply because they
    feel a lot stiffer. This is as likely to be the large diameter splined
    BB as anything else. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference in Q
    factor, but the centre of the spider sticks out more on the old
    champagne cranks.