q. for mike jacoubowsky

jim beam

Guest
mike, passed a guy on the way home tonight who was riding one of those
big tubed trek oclv frames, and the front & rear wheels were completely
out of plane with each other. literally, the front wheel was tracking
about 2" to the right of the rear. have you ever seen this before?
being carbon, i can't see how the frame could have been bent in a crash.
the wheels were inserted correctly - they were not misaligned &
rubbing the frame anywhere. i don't get it. have you seen a trek with
this kind of problem before?

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:55:32 -0700, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>mike, passed a guy on the way home tonight who was riding one of those
>big tubed trek oclv frames, and the front & rear wheels were completely
>out of plane with each other. literally, the front wheel was tracking
>about 2" to the right of the rear. have you ever seen this before?

2 inches? That's waaaaaay more than is even ridable, let alone desireable.
Are you sure it wasn't optical illusion?

Jasper

I think that is the model that Trek for European customers.

Some european cities still have trams (the public transportation
vehicles that run in a track).

With this model, you can't get both _wheels_ stuck in the track. Its
kind of a safety issue.

Lewis.

*************

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I think that is the model that Trek for European customers.
>
> Some european cities still have trams (the public transportation
> vehicles that run in a track).
>
> With this model, you can't get both _wheels_ stuck in the track. Its
> kind of a safety issue.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *************

But if you get the front wheel stuck, you still endo. I had the opportunity
to see that happen 5 feet in front of me with a buddy of mine. It was
pretty horrific.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I think that is the model that Trek for European customers.
>
> Some european cities still have trams (the public transportation
> vehicles that run in a track).
>
> With this model, you can't get both _wheels_ stuck in the track. Its
> kind of a safety issue.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *************

BTW, I got the joke.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

>>mike, passed a guy on the way home tonight who was riding one of those
>>big tubed trek oclv frames, and the front & rear wheels were completely
>>out of plane with each other. literally, the front wheel was tracking
>>about 2" to the right of the rear. have you ever seen this before?

> 2 inches? That's waaaaaay more than is even ridable, let alone desireable.
> Are you sure it wasn't optical illusion?
>

> Jasper

Wow, leave for just a couple days to Las Vegas (for the industry trade show)
and come back to find the world's falling apart! Or at least my mind doesn't
seem to be tracking properly, but it's off way more than 2 inches. Don't
think it's physically possible to build a high-quality frame that would be
off by much more than 10% of that mount and not have the rear wheel hitting
the frame (or something else appropriately odd).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 07:12:17 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>mike, passed a guy on the way home tonight who was riding one of those
>>>big tubed trek oclv frames, and the front & rear wheels were completely
>>>out of plane with each other. literally, the front wheel was tracking
>>>about 2" to the right of the rear. have you ever seen this before?

>> 2 inches? That's waaaaaay more than is even ridable, let alone desireable.
>> Are you sure it wasn't optical illusion?

>Wow, leave for just a couple days to Las Vegas (for the industry trade show)
>and come back to find the world's falling apart! Or at least my mind doesn't
>seem to be tracking properly, but it's off way more than 2 inches. Don't
>think it's physically possible to build a high-quality frame that would be
>off by much more than 10% of that mount and not have the rear wheel hitting
>the frame (or something else appropriately odd).

If you specifically *designed* the frame for massively untracking, I bet
you could do it. Just set front and rear triangles at an angle and
compensate for that at the headtube.

Jasper