Quad adaptor

Tom Blum

Guest
I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.

"Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
someone who sells them now..

I used to have a page bookmarked, but that died with a hard drive failure a while back. But IIRC
that site wasn't in business anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
> inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
>
> "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
> someone who sells them now..
>
> I used to have a page bookmarked, but that died with a hard drive failure a while back. But IIRC
> that site wasn't in business anymore.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

If I follow what you want, this company lists them on their website
http://www.bikepro.com/ad_copy/crank_crings_chard.html 1-800-bike-pro is the contact number for the
retail store in Santa Rosa, CA

happy trails,rorschandt

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
> inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
>
> "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
> someone who sells them now..

The Mountain Tamer adapter would mount a Suntour freewheel cog on the 74mm bolt pattern. Chainrings
down to 18 (17?) teeth are possible. Want mine?

If you want to put a small chainring on a 130mm bolt pattern crank, Harris Cyclery sells TA
triplizer chainrings: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130 . The smallest
chainring is 24 teeth, though.

Jeff

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22
> > tooth inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.

Tom, If you want to add a 4th ring to three 130mm rings, it's easy to make a simple adaptor from
1/8" Al plate, to replace the spacers between 1st and 2nd rings. You need a drill press, hacksaw
and 10mm drill bits (or an "X" which at .3970 is close enough to 10mm). Use old chainrings as a
drill guide.

IIRC the Avid adaptor let you run 58mm rings on a 74mm bolt circle.

Here is the link to the Mountaintamer Quad adaptor

http://abundantadventures.com/jemez/quads.html

They also make a triple adaptor. I used the triple with a 46,34,21 setup. The triple adaptor
replaces the inner ring and specers of my 5 bolt XTR crank. You can also use the triple to add a 4th
ring to a shimano road tripple. I am considering removing the outer ring on an Ultegra triple and
running a 42, 30, 18 tripple setup on my MTB.

I used to have an Avid, but sold it many years ago. It only went down to a 20t though. but, it
was lighter.

Rocketman58

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22
> > tooth inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
> >
> > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
> > someone who sells them now..
> >

> The Mountain Tamer adapter would mount a Suntour freewheel cog on the 74mm bolt pattern.
> Chainrings down to 18 (17?) teeth are possible. Want mine?
>
> If you want to put a small chainring on a 130mm bolt pattern crank, Harris Cyclery sells TA
> triplizer chainrings: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130 . The smallest
> chainring is 24 teeth, though.
>
> Jeff

[email protected] (rocketman58) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Here is the link to the Mountaintamer Quad adaptor
>
> http://abundantadventures.com/jemez/quads.html
>
> They also make a triple adaptor. I used the triple with a 46,34,21 setup. The triple adaptor
> replaces the inner ring and specers of my 5 bolt XTR crank. You can also use the triple to add a
> 4th ring to a shimano road tripple. I am considering removing the outer ring on an Ultegra triple
> and running a 42, 30, 18 tripple setup on my MTB.
>
> I used to have an Avid, but sold it many years ago. It only went down to a 20t though. but, it was
> lighter.
>
> Rocketman58

Holy cow, Tom Mayer is still kicking. I wonder if he's got a supply of the Suntour cogs that fit the
adapters- it's for darn sure they're not being made anymore.

Jeff