Quad adaptor

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
    inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.

    "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    someone who sells them now..

    I used to have a page bookmarked, but that died with a hard drive failure a while back. But IIRC
    that site wasn't in business anymore.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
    > inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
    >
    > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    > someone who sells them now..
    >
    > I used to have a page bookmarked, but that died with a hard drive failure a while back. But IIRC
    > that site wasn't in business anymore.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >

    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

    If I follow what you want, this company lists them on their website
    http://www.bikepro.com/ad_copy/crank_crings_chard.html 1-800-bike-pro is the contact number for the
    retail store in Santa Rosa, CA

    happy trails,rorschandt

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
    > inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
    >
    > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    > someone who sells them now..

    The Mountain Tamer adapter would mount a Suntour freewheel cog on the 74mm bolt pattern. Chainrings
    down to 18 (17?) teeth are possible. Want mine?

    If you want to put a small chainring on a 130mm bolt pattern crank, Harris Cyclery sells TA
    triplizer chainrings: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130 . The smallest
    chainring is 24 teeth, though.

    Jeff

  5. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22
    > > tooth inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.

    Tom, If you want to add a 4th ring to three 130mm rings, it's easy to make a simple adaptor from
    1/8" Al plate, to replace the spacers between 1st and 2nd rings. You need a drill press, hacksaw
    and 10mm drill bits (or an "X" which at .3970 is close enough to 10mm). Use old chainrings as a
    drill guide.

    IIRC the Avid adaptor let you run 58mm rings on a 74mm bolt circle.

  6. Rocketman58

    Rocketman58 Guest

    Here is the link to the Mountaintamer Quad adaptor

    http://abundantadventures.com/jemez/quads.html

    They also make a triple adaptor. I used the triple with a 46,34,21 setup. The triple adaptor
    replaces the inner ring and specers of my 5 bolt XTR crank. You can also use the triple to add a 4th
    ring to a shimano road tripple. I am considering removing the outer ring on an Ultegra triple and
    running a 42, 30, 18 tripple setup on my MTB.

    I used to have an Avid, but sold it many years ago. It only went down to a 20t though. but, it
    was lighter.

    Rocketman58

    [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22
    > > tooth inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
    > >
    > > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    > > someone who sells them now..
    > >

    > The Mountain Tamer adapter would mount a Suntour freewheel cog on the 74mm bolt pattern.
    > Chainrings down to 18 (17?) teeth are possible. Want mine?
    >
    > If you want to put a small chainring on a 130mm bolt pattern crank, Harris Cyclery sells TA
    > triplizer chainrings: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130 . The smallest
    > chainring is 24 teeth, though.
    >
    > Jeff

  7. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (rocketman58) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here is the link to the Mountaintamer Quad adaptor
    >
    > http://abundantadventures.com/jemez/quads.html
    >
    > They also make a triple adaptor. I used the triple with a 46,34,21 setup. The triple adaptor
    > replaces the inner ring and specers of my 5 bolt XTR crank. You can also use the triple to add a
    > 4th ring to a shimano road tripple. I am considering removing the outer ring on an Ultegra triple
    > and running a 42, 30, 18 tripple setup on my MTB.
    >
    > I used to have an Avid, but sold it many years ago. It only went down to a 20t though. but, it was
    > lighter.
    >
    > Rocketman58

    Holy cow, Tom Mayer is still kicking. I wonder if he's got a supply of the Suntour cogs that fit the
    adapters- it's for darn sure they're not being made anymore.

    Jeff