Quad adaptor

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Guest

I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
    inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.

"Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    someone who sells them now..

I used to have a page bookmarked, but that died with a hard drive failure a while back. But IIRC
    that site wasn't in business anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
    Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Tags:

2. Rorschandt

Rorschandt Guest

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
    > inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
    >
    > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    > someone who sells them now..
    >
    > I used to have a page bookmarked, but that died with a hard drive failure a while back. But IIRC
    > that site wasn't in business anymore.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

If I follow what you want, this company lists them on their website
    http://www.bikepro.com/ad_copy/crank_crings_chard.html 1-800-bike-pro is the contact number for the
    retail store in Santa Rosa, CA

happy trails,rorschandt

3. Cletus Lee

Cletus Lee Guest

4. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22 tooth
    > inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
    >
    > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    > someone who sells them now..
    >

The Mountain Tamer adapter would mount a Suntour freewheel cog on the 74mm bolt pattern. Chainrings
    down to 18 (17?) teeth are possible. Want mine?

If you want to put a small chainring on a 130mm bolt pattern crank, Harris Cyclery sells TA
    triplizer chainrings: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130 . The smallest
    chainring is 24 teeth, though.

Jeff

5. Mark Stonich

Mark Stonich Guest

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22
    > > tooth inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.

Tom, If you want to add a 4th ring to three 130mm rings, it's easy to make a simple adaptor from
    1/8" Al plate, to replace the spacers between 1st and 2nd rings. You need a drill press, hacksaw
    and 10mm drill bits (or an "X" which at .3970 is close enough to 10mm). Use old chainrings as a
    drill guide.

IIRC the Avid adaptor let you run 58mm rings on a 74mm bolt circle.

6. Rocketman58

Rocketman58 Guest

Here is the link to the Mountaintamer Quad adaptor

http://abundantadventures.com/jemez/quads.html

They also make a triple adaptor. I used the triple with a 46,34,21 setup. The triple adaptor
    replaces the inner ring and specers of my 5 bolt XTR crank. You can also use the triple to add a 4th
    ring to a shimano road tripple. I am considering removing the outer ring on an Ultegra triple and
    running a 42, 30, 18 tripple setup on my MTB.

I used to have an Avid, but sold it many years ago. It only went down to a 20t though. but, it
    was lighter.

Rocketman58

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've been searching for an hour for the adaptor mentioned a while ago that lets you use a 22
    > > tooth inner ring on a 130(??) mm BHD crank.
    > >
    > > "Mountain Tamer" is mentioned. Avid is mentioned as "used to make one". I can find no links to
    > > someone who sells them now..
    > >
    >
    > The Mountain Tamer adapter would mount a Suntour freewheel cog on the 74mm bolt pattern.
    > Chainrings down to 18 (17?) teeth are possible. Want mine?
    >
    > If you want to put a small chainring on a 130mm bolt pattern crank, Harris Cyclery sells TA
    > triplizer chainrings: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130 . The smallest
    > chainring is 24 teeth, though.
    >
    > Jeff

7. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

[email protected] (rocketman58) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here is the link to the Mountaintamer Quad adaptor
    >
    > http://abundantadventures.com/jemez/quads.html
    >
    > They also make a triple adaptor. I used the triple with a 46,34,21 setup. The triple adaptor
    > replaces the inner ring and specers of my 5 bolt XTR crank. You can also use the triple to add a
    > 4th ring to a shimano road tripple. I am considering removing the outer ring on an Ultegra triple
    > and running a 42, 30, 18 tripple setup on my MTB.
    >
    > I used to have an Avid, but sold it many years ago. It only went down to a 20t though. but, it was
    > lighter.
    >
    > Rocketman58
    >

Holy cow, Tom Mayer is still kicking. I wonder if he's got a supply of the Suntour cogs that fit the
    adapters- it's for darn sure they're not being made anymore.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.