Quads are sore after century, but nothing else . . .

bweb

Apr 25, 2004
Completed my first century over the weekend in the local Tour de Cure. I thought I did pretty well, woke up the next morning with my quads absolutely burning. But nothing else hurt, calves, hams ect felt fine. Is this normal or can someone derive a tip about seat position, technique ect from only having quads hurt? I would think that my calves and hams would be sore too. It was mostly rolling hills with a few tough climbs.

Thanks,

Brian

Not normal, but maybe you pushed yourself on the Century well beyond the distance of your previous training rides. Could indicate that your seat is low, which tends to focus the work on the quads. Also, you may have used to high a gear (low cadence) which of course puts more fatigue into the leg muscles.

Good you finished, and hope you keep going. Your next Century will be easier!

Originally posted by bweb
Completed my first century over the weekend in the local Tour de Cure. I thought I did pretty well, woke up the next morning with my quads absolutely burning. But nothing else hurt, calves, hams ect felt fine. Is this normal or can someone derive a tip about seat position, technique ect from only having quads hurt? I would think that my calves and hams would be sore too. It was mostly rolling hills with a few tough climbs.

Thanks,

Brian

done any weight training lately?