Quick release hub question (New To This)

vektek

May 11, 2005
Hello all,

I'm very new to cycling I haven't ridden since I was 16 (33 Now).

I have bought 2 new bikes (Cheap) one each for me and the wife but when I got them home I found they wont fit in the bike shed with the front wheel on. So the question I'm asking is can I convert the normal nut system to a quick release system?

Many thanks in advance.

Vektek

You will need new hollow axles and the skewers. Your LBS (local bike shop) should be able to help.

ward17 said:
You will need new hollow axles and the skewers. Your LBS (local bike shop) should be able to help.
Actually, after the cost of the hollow axle (around $8) and a skewer (also around $8) plus the labor charge to overhaul the hubs and install them (likely around $10-$15), it may be more cost-effective to buy a new pre-built stock QR wheel ($30-$35). That way you can keep your bolt-on wheels as spares.

punkerfinger said:
Actually, after the cost of the hollow axle (around $8) and a skewer (also around $8) plus the labor charge to overhaul the hubs and install them (likely around $10-$15), it may be more cost-effective to buy a new pre-built stock QR wheel ($30-$35). That way you can keep your bolt-on wheels as spares.

Another option would be to replace the axle hexnuts with axle wingnuts-not as quick a release as the quick release system, but a lot cheaper yet still quicker than hexnuts.