Race Wheel Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Hoyt

I'm considering a Zipp rimmed race wheel this year. The options are three. I can buy the Zipp 303. I
can buy the Am Classic 38mm deep (Zipp rim) pre built wheel. Finially, I could buy Zipp 280 rims and
build them myself.

Zipp had a significant price increase this year, so it would be the most expensive way to go. They
also, however, have the resale advantage (be it justified or not) of being a factory built wheel
with a recognized and respected brand name.

I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? Thanks.

M

Mg Hoy-<< I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? >><BR><BR>

Get Reynolds(formerly LEW) rims and build them yourself or have us build them. Same price as Zipp
rims($330 per) but much stronger, IMO-Can build the Reynolds rims to twice the tension as
zipps(180kgf vs 90)

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Michael Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm considering a Zipp rimmed race wheel this year. The options are three. I can buy the Zipp 303.
> I can buy the Am Classic 38mm deep (Zipp rim) pre built wheel. Finially, I could buy Zipp 280 rims
> and build them myself.
>
> Zipp had a significant price increase this year, so it would be the most expensive way to go. They
> also, however, have the resale advantage (be it justified or not) of being a factory built wheel
> with a recognized and respected brand name.
>
> I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yeah, why not buy a set of Shimano DuraAce wheels?

Because even the carbon rimmed ones weigh nearly a pound more than the Zipps or ACs and I don't like
the concept of how the spokes attach to the rims.

The way I look at it, if I'm going to put up with the hassles of owning a non-standard wheel
(difficult to get parts, parts are expensive, may make noise, difficult to true, tubulars, carbon
braking surface, etc...), it better come with some significant advantage. I haven't found a set that
will pedal for me <g>, so I'm going for weight reduction.

IMHO the Shimano wheels, Ksyriums, Cane Creek, spoked Spinergys and Velomax don't offer enough of
anything over a built wheel to make up for all the potential problems.

M

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "Michael Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm considering a Zipp rimmed race wheel this year. The options are three. I can buy the Zipp
> > 303. I can buy the Am Classic 38mm deep (Zipp rim) pre built wheel. Finially, I could buy Zipp
> > 280 rims and build them myself.
> >
> > Zipp had a significant price increase this year, so it would be the most expensive way to go.
> > They also, however, have the resale advantage (be it justified or not) of being a factory built
> > wheel with a recognized and respected brand name.
> >
> > I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>
> Yeah, why not buy a set of Shimano DuraAce wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.