Race Wheel Help

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael Hoyt, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    I'm considering a Zipp rimmed race wheel this year. The options are three. I can buy the Zipp 303. I
    can buy the Am Classic 38mm deep (Zipp rim) pre built wheel. Finially, I could buy Zipp 280 rims and
    build them myself.

    Zipp had a significant price increase this year, so it would be the most expensive way to go. They
    also, however, have the resale advantage (be it justified or not) of being a factory built wheel
    with a recognized and respected brand name.

    I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? Thanks.

  2. Mg Hoy-<< I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? >><BR><BR>

    Get Reynolds(formerly LEW) rims and build them yourself or have us build them. Same price as Zipp
    rims($330 per) but much stronger, IMO-Can build the Reynolds rims to twice the tension as
    zipps(180kgf vs 90)

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Michael Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering a Zipp rimmed race wheel this year. The options are three. I can buy the Zipp 303.
    > I can buy the Am Classic 38mm deep (Zipp rim) pre built wheel. Finially, I could buy Zipp 280 rims
    > and build them myself.
    >
    > Zipp had a significant price increase this year, so it would be the most expensive way to go. They
    > also, however, have the resale advantage (be it justified or not) of being a factory built wheel
    > with a recognized and respected brand name.
    >
    > I'm conflicted <g>. Any thoughts? Thanks.

    Yeah, why not buy a set of Shimano DuraAce wheels?

  4. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    Because even the carbon rimmed ones weigh nearly a pound more than the Zipps or ACs and I don't like
    the concept of how the spokes attach to the rims.

    The way I look at it, if I'm going to put up with the hassles of owning a non-standard wheel
    (difficult to get parts, parts are expensive, may make noise, difficult to true, tubulars, carbon
    braking surface, etc...), it better come with some significant advantage. I haven't found a set that
    will pedal for me <g>, so I'm going for weight reduction.

    IMHO the Shimano wheels, Ksyriums, Cane Creek, spoked Spinergys and Velomax don't offer enough of
    anything over a built wheel to make up for all the potential problems.