Racers - How long is your post season break?

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
I'm in my 2nd week of no training after a 7 month season.....planning to get back on the bike for some base work mid october. Urgency starts mid November.

how long do you guys rest up for?

BullGod said:
...how long do you guys rest up for?
I take a month at the end of the season where I don't do any focused training. I still ride quite a bit for fun, but no 2x20s, no focused efforts, no suffering and no weekly schedules. The idea is to get a mental break but I don't want to lose all my accumulated base and have to start all over again.

-Dave

I take 3 weeks, no road biking during that time, only cross training (running, mtbing, tennis, whatever to stay in shape and keep the weight down.)

I'm using basically the same method as Dave. No schedules, just riding for fun. Whenever, and whatever my little heart desires.

2 weeks off the bike
12 weeks of weight training with very little riding
6 weeks of base with weight training maintenance
than its on to the fun stuff for the remainder of the season.

Mountain bike season ended for me in September, and cyclocross season started the week after. Cyclocross season ends in December, and I'll take a week off for travel. The first road-race I am targetting starts in early February.

You need to include the answer "no break" as it applies to me. I've gone straight into track season at Burnaby's indoor velodrome. Gotta love the place when it's 35 degrees and sleeting outside...

During the heart of winter, about 2 months, I stop doing all threshold work/intervals. In that time I ride for fun, take vacation, and take up some snow sports.

For me at least, it is good not just fot the body but the mind too. 10 months a year of hard training and tapering leaves me feeling like toast.