Questions for experienced racers

3_days said:
Can you copy Timan's advice on this post - I'm your size, I don't blow up but I'm no natural climber. I believe that I could get some great benefit from your experience here.

I pushed a hard hill - interval day yesterday and I'm curious about the duration, number and length of the intervals that worked for you - for example, I did 10 miles of tough intervals on a short, steep hill -.6 m but averages 14 - 15%. I'm not as physically tired from it as much as I'm feeling those first subtle symptoms of overtraining (irritable attitude, bad sleep).

I also have the CTS, TT video and use it fairly regularly - do you use the pedal cadences described in the video (I tend to push a lighter gear at a higher cadence to limit tire wear a bit). I actually think that video is very helpful.

Finally, in comparison to your intervals, let me know what you use as your recovery ride.

Quadsweep needed more VO2 max work and more rest before the hard group ride he does.........he also needed to be vey careful during the ride not to ride too hard while hanging with a good group.
I gave him one day of climbing intervals followed by a day of trainer intervals.

On Tuesday he was to do 5 repeats of five minutes each on a 5-8% grade hill. Cadence 75 or better. Ideally you want about 20-30 minutes of intervals at one time to get the best stim for VO2 max and power at VO2.
The "longer intervals" (4-6 min) are far better for increasing VO2 max and power at VO2 max than shorter intervals simply because you get more time at or near your VO2 max per interval. With shorter intervals you need to do many more in order to get the same stimulation to your VO2 system.
After the intervals I advised 30 minutes of non stop LT work on a flat section of road, or motor pacing, and a little endurance work to end.
As a warm up before the intervals I advised about 20 minutes of endurance riding and then 1-2 anaerobic intervals of 60 seconds each just to get the bodily LT buffering system going.

BTW...So if you want to do short interval then do pure anaerobic intervals of about one minute each....this will benefit the anaerobic system. The anaerobic system is nowhere near as important to the road cyclist as VO2 max intervals...but they should still be done from time to time.

The next day I advised him to do VO2 max intervals on the trainer at a high cadence ....about 110 if he could...and the CTS video is a good one for that. You could also do them on a flat or flatish section of road as long as you are not forced to slow or stop. Again 5 sets of 5 minutes. After the intervals I advised two sets of about 12 minutes at LT and then a 10 minute endurance ride for a cool down.

Then after these intervals I advised a REST for two days...a recovery ride the first day for 45-60 minutes at a heart rate BELOW your endurance zone....and then a day OFF the next day.

Recovery is KEY...no recovery, no supercompensation, no increase in riding strength.

ti man,

your info is highly valued and greatly appreciated by myself. thanks.

TiMan said:
Quadsweep needed more VO2 max work and more rest before the hard group ride he does.........he also needed to be vey careful during the ride not to ride too hard while hanging with a good group.
I gave him one day of climbing intervals followed by a day of trainer intervals.

Recovery is KEY...no recovery, no supercompensation, no increase in riding strength.

Timan : I meant to thank you for your advice much sooner than today.

I've been pushing the intervals and finding big time success with overall times and (presumably) power output. I don't think I've been stronger on the bike in a while.

BUT here's the most satisfying benefit in my mind so far: you know how you get to the top of a tough climb and the last thing on your mind should be any desire to sprint ... I've absolutely been able to sprint after putting in a good, solid effort, even after climbing in the 21 or the 19T - I still have the fuel to burn at the top.

My learning experience with the interval training is to focus on two important things:

1) PEDAL STROKE! Unlike most, I'm a big puller/upstroker/hamstringer! I always found a great deal of power from the upstroke when I ride hard in the flats. But when I climb, I habitually made the mistake of neglecting that part of the pedal stroke ESPECIALLY because I was too anxious to climb out of the saddle - I would stand up early in the climb even though I ordinarily get a LOT of strength from my hammies in my regular stroke. The pull of the stroke is a much different deal when out of the saddle and it's tough not to rely too much on your arms- the most typical result being a rhythmless, "choppier" stroke.

2) VARYING INTENSITY! With my intervals, I'm finding that it's not enough to work the same regimen/course/duration, etc. repeatedly. I'm forcing myself to vary the intensity with a focus on gradually increasing the difficulty of different aspects. For example, today was interval climbs with an occasional light sprint at the top. Gearing for climbs was generally light, 23 or 21T - but the sprints were in a heavy gear. On another day, I might sprint before a climb, and alter the gearing as well.

Importantly, I've been keeping a strong mental note of the perceived difficulty of the day, and the effect in the days following, and impose rest accordingly.