Training questions!

Donovan1986

Apr 8, 2012
I ride typically at the least of 15 miles a day now and i do 40+ every saturday, i'm wanting to train for the next few months while i save up for a nice road bike and then start doing competitive races locally.

My first question - What's the easiest way to get into competitions to get my name out there?

My second question - How many miles of training is good? 15 is starting to seem easy for a daily goal and i was thinking more of closer to 20 and 50 - 60 on saturdays? How much do you usually train?

http://www.usacycling.org/ Should have all the information you will need to find some local races. At this point you are just starting out, I would not worry so much about getting your name out there, if it is meant to be your results will do the talking.

With regards to training and miles needed, there are tons of different methods to training, so there really is no simple answer to your question. One thing is, most people do not go by miles they go by time because traing stress is a function of time and intensity, not how many miles you ride. Doing things by miles is difficult because I could give you two totally different answers depending on where you are located (hilly Colorado vs. flat Ohio).