radial wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Meerse, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. John Meerse

    John Meerse Guest

    I crashed in the Fitchburg crit this weekend, and broke a spoke on my front, radial-laced wheel. The
    mechanics at the Mavic tent were discussing it, and one told the other that a radial wheel generally
    held it's shape better when a spoke broke. Is this really true?

    Thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (John Meerse) wrote:

    >I crashed in the Fitchburg crit this weekend, and broke a spoke on my front, radial-laced wheel.
    >The mechanics at the Mavic tent were discussing it, and one told the other that a radial wheel
    >generally held it's shape better when a spoke broke. Is this really true?

    Since the missing spoke helped hold tension on those it crossed, it makes sense that there would be
    a SMALL difference - but it's not likely to be enough to make a difference in terms of being able to
    ride the wheel home.

  3. On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:00:17 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Since the missing spoke helped hold tension on those it crossed, it makes sense that there would be
    >a SMALL difference - but it's not likely to be enough to make a difference in terms of being able
    >to ride the wheel home.

    Hmm. I was able to ride a rear wheel the other day with 3 spokes missing just fine. 'Course, that's
    a 36-spoke 3cross steel bugger that weighs a ton, and the 3 spokes were fairly strategically
    positioned to not be too much of a problem. I've also had similar wheels on commuter bikes be
    completely unusable with but two or three spokes missing, and on another occasion I had one that
    went fairly wobbly when 9 out of 36 -- a full quarter -- were gone.

    Jasper

  4. John-<< I crashed in the Fitchburg crit this weekend, and broke a spoke on my front, radial-laced
    wheel. The mechanics at the Mavic tent were discussing it, and one told the other that a radial
    wheel generally held it's shape better when a spoke broke. Is this really true? >><BR><BR>

    Not surprised that a bunch of Mavic weenies, that sell all fronts that are radial, would say this...

    If it holds it shape, then the tension is not adequate, like a lot of mavic wheels...