Radio 4 this afternoon on bicycle stability. No idea if it worthwhile.

On 29 Jul, 21:33, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > God this makes me want to go for a ride, shame its raining.

> Not made of sugar, are you? ;-)

:) No, but I am feeling wimpy lol.

Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Funny thing is, ten years ago I would've drowned out both ears with
> loud music, zipped in-between two articulated lorries around a dual-
> carriageway roundabout and never have given it a second thought. Is
> it normal to develop a sense of danger in ones thirties?

You wouldn't by any chance have become a father in the interim?

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
> 16:30
> Material World

> Quentin Cooper explores the phenomenon of a bicycle's stability and meets the experts who
> claim to understand it.

I remeber someone claiming that if you'd just invented the bicycle
today, you'd never get it past the patent office, let alone onto the
roads. Officials would try it and fall off. The idea of travelling
alongside motorised traffic on something which you needed weeks of
practice at just to stop swerving all over the place and falling off
wouldn't go down well at all :)

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:01:59 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Chris
Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I remeber someone claiming that if you'd just invented the bicycle
>today, you'd never get it past the patent office, let alone onto the
>roads. Officials would try it and fall off. The idea of travelling
>alongside motorised traffic on something which you needed weeks of
>practice at just to stop swerving all over the place and falling off
>wouldn't go down well at all :)

True. The same could be said of cars and also two interesting fuels,
electricity and gas. The latter could certainly not be transported
round the countryside in pipes and cables.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Jul 30, 10:44 am, Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:
> Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Funny thing is, ten years ago I would've drowned out both ears with
> > loud music, zipped in-between two articulated lorries around a dual-
> > carriageway roundabout and never have given it a second thought. Is
> > it normal to develop a sense of danger in ones thirties?

> You wouldn't by any chance have become a father in the interim?

Not as it happens, though I'm reliably informed by my partner that
it's on our 'to-do' list.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ben C wrote:

> >> If you have an iPod you can get waterproof case and headphones for a lot
> >> less.
> >> http://www.psalmgear.co.uk/acatalog/oPod_Combo_Packs.html

> > Or a plastic bag for even less.

> You may trust your iPod to a plastic bag but my experience over many
> years of electronics mixed with water is the proper stuff is worth the
> money for peace of mind.
>
> Tony

i used a 4G ipod for ages as postie they are remarkably water resitance
no problems at all. i did eventually kill it well okay it's harddrive
by dropping it one too manny times. but the ipod is pritty good weather
wise.

very few areas of ingress.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 26 Jul, 15:10, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On the subject of radio, does anyone confess to listening while
> > riding? I'm not talking about stereo music in both ears, but just
> > some gentle talk on radio 4 in the left ear only - keeping the right
> > ear free and open for traffic.

> Yes, a lot of the time - I listen to the radio when I commute by car,
> so why not on a bike. More often 5 live than radio 4. Used to be both
> ears until one earpiece packed up, now just one ear, which doesn't
> seem to make any difference to anything for mono radio. I've never
> been surprised by something coming up behind me that I should have
> heard but didn't because of the radio.

in a car you can see behind at all times, on a bike to do so means
riding blind forward for some time.

thus being able to hear "oh thats a car" is very handy stops you being
suprised.

thus it's never seemed a wise move.

snips

> Rob

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On 31 Jul, 12:26, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Yes, a lot of the time - I listen to the radio when I commute by car,
> > so why not on a bike. More often 5 live than radio 4. Used to be both
> > ears until one earpiece packed up, now just one ear, which doesn't
> > seem to make any difference to anything for mono radio. I've never
> > been surprised by something coming up behind me that I should have
> > heard but didn't because of the radio.

> in a car you can see behind at all times, on a bike to do so means
> riding blind forward for some time.
>
> thus being able to hear "oh thats a car" is very handy stops you being
> suprised.

agreed. My point was I've cycle 1000s of miles listening to the
radio, and _never_ been surprised by something overtaking me that I
hadn't heard. Speech radio at sensible volumes (which is what I listen
to) simply doesn't interfere with my ability to hear traffic
approaching from behind.

Rob

Duncan Smith wrote:
>>Quentin Cooper explores the phenomenon of a bicycle's stability and meets the experts who
>>claim to understand it.
>>

> Well spotted, looks good.

It's still available on listen again.

http://www.durex.com/

On Jul 27, 9:17 pm, "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Yes, in both ears.

> OK to listen in both ears when riding on pavement, but not on road.

Not OK to ride on pavement at all.

--
Dave...

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:30:13 +0100, Paul Boyd
<usenet.is.worse@plusnet> said in
<[email protected]>:

>> OK to listen in both ears when riding on pavement, but not on road.

>Is that a wind-up?

Do Baygen do an mp3 player now, then? Coo.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Duncan Smith said:

...Is it normal to develop a sense of danger in ones thirties?

Well, some see it as becoming more cowardly, I see it as becoming better at visualizing all the possible nasty outcomes.

In areas where I'm still relatively clueless about risks and consequences I'm probably just as foolhardy at 30-something as I ever was during daily life as a teen.

On Jul 31, 6:26 am, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 26 Jul, 15:10, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > On the subject of radio, does anyone confess to listening while
> > > riding? I'm not talking about stereo music in both ears, but just
> > > some gentle talk on radio 4 in the left ear only - keeping the right
> > > ear free and open for traffic.

> > Yes, a lot of the time - I listen to the radio when I commute by car,
> > so why not on a bike. More often 5 live than radio 4. Used to be both
> > ears until one earpiece packed up, now just one ear, which doesn't
> > seem to make any difference to anything for mono radio. I've never
> > been surprised by something coming up behind me that I should have
> > heard but didn't because of the radio.

> in a car you can see behind at all times, on a bike to do so means
> riding blind forward for some time.
>
> thus being able to hear "oh thats a car" is very handy stops you being
> suprised.
>
> thus it's never seemed a wise move.
>
> snips
>

> > Rob

> roger
> --www.rogermerriman.com

I still don't understand people who seem to need their ears to ride a
bicycle. What are you listening for? Do you change your riding style
or position in the road when you hear a car coming? By riding on the
road the assumption is that at some point (or multiple points) along
that ride you will be passed by a car/truck/motorbike/bus so you ride
accordingly. Maybe you have special powers of hearing where you can
determine whether the car behind is going to pass to one side or drive
straight into the back of you. When you make a turn in the road, do
you listen to see if the road's clear or look? If you're really
worried about what's behind you get a mirror.

Marz <[email protected]> wrote:

> I still don't understand people who seem to need their ears to ride a
> bicycle. What are you listening for?

How do you notice sirens?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Marz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 6:26 am, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes, a lot of the time - I listen to the radio when I commute by car,
> > > so why not on a bike. More often 5 live than radio 4. Used to be both
> > > ears until one earpiece packed up, now just one ear, which doesn't
> > > seem to make any difference to anything for mono radio. I've never
> > > been surprised by something coming up behind me that I should have
> > > heard but didn't because of the radio.

> > in a car you can see behind at all times, on a bike to do so means
> > riding blind forward for some time.
> >
> > thus being able to hear "oh thats a car" is very handy stops you being
> > suprised.
> >
> > thus it's never seemed a wise move.
> >
> > snips
> >

> > > Rob

> > roger
> > --www.rogermerriman.com

> I still don't understand people who seem to need their ears to ride a
> bicycle. What are you listening for? Do you change your riding style
> or position in the road when you hear a car coming? By riding on the
> road the assumption is that at some point (or multiple points) along
> that ride you will be passed by a car/truck/motorbike/bus so you ride
> accordingly. Maybe you have special powers of hearing where you can
> determine whether the car behind is going to pass to one side or drive
> straight into the back of you. When you make a turn in the road, do
> you listen to see if the road's clear or look? If you're really
> worried about what's behind you get a mirror.

it means that you can normally tell, size, speed and distance of whats
behind you, useful as a mirror is unlikely to work well and turning to
look means that for x amount of time your travelling blind.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Marz wrote:
> I still don't understand people who seem to need their ears to ride a
> bicycle. What are you listening for? Do you change your riding style
> or position in the road when you hear a car coming?

Very often, yes. Simple example: if there's a car behind me and a
traffic island 500m ahead, I'd rather slacken off a bit and pull into
the secondary position now and let them past when they can do so safely
than continue at speed and have them attempt some dorky manoeuvre later
on. Or perhaps instead I'll stay where I am and push a bit harder so
that I'm past the obstruction before they get bored with having me in front.

> Maybe you have special powers of hearing where you can
> determine whether the car behind is going to pass to one side or drive
> straight into the back of you.

No, but my perfectly ordinary powers of hearing are good enough to
determine, for example, that the taxi behind wants to overtake (dropping
a gear, acceleration). Or that the back light dropped off my bike. Or
that my derailleur indexing is off. Or that my cranks need tightening.

Each to their own, and if you can get along without hearing, more power
to you. I just find it's another tool in the toolbox, so to speak.

-dan

On 29 Aug, 14:42, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
> Marz <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > in a car you can see behind at all times, on a bike to do so means
> > > riding blind forward for some time.

> > > thus being able to hear "oh thats a car" is very handy stops you being
> > > suprised.

> > > thus it's never seemed a wise move.

> > > snips

> > > roger
> > > --www.rogermerriman.com

> > I still don't understand people who seem to need their ears to ride a
> > bicycle. What are you listening for? Do you change your riding style
> > or position in the road when you hear a car coming? By riding on the
> > road the assumption is that at some point (or multiple points) along
> > that ride you will be passed by a car/truck/motorbike/bus so you ride
> > accordingly. Maybe you have special powers of hearing where you can
> > determine whether the car behind is going to pass to one side or drive
> > straight into the back of you. When you make a turn in the road, do
> > you listen to see if the road's clear or look? If you're really
> > worried about what's behind you get a mirror.

> it means that you can normally tell, size, speed and distance of whats
> behind you, useful as a mirror is unlikely to work well and turning to
> look means that for x amount of time your travelling blind.
>
> roger
> --www.rogermerriman.com

I dont think its a case of riding without ears being a problem, i
think you just have to recognise that if you are going to ride without
ears (or with them plugged) that you will have to be extra cautious in
compensation. I'm happy to ride with earphones in, because I check
round more often, especially when turning right. Its very easy to hear
traffic coming up from behind but its unquantifiable in my mind - you
cant rely on it to tell you where and when and how big something is,
you still need to look to be sure - it just reduces the element of
suprise. Turning to look hardly takes a fraction of a second - if it
were that dangerous we wouldnt all be encouraged to use mirrors when
driving vehicles at 70mph.

On Aug 29, 8:26 am, [email protected] (Ekul
Namsob) wrote:
> Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I still don't understand people who seem to need their ears to ride a
> > bicycle. What are you listening for?

> How do you notice sirens?
>
> Cheers,
> Luke
>
> --
> Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in
> exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

By hearing them over the loud music, same as horns. It's quite
possible to have music playing, but still be able to hear sirens or
horns. Have you not noticed how sirens tend to be a bit louded than
car engine noise?