Radio 4 - Weds Afternoon Play @ 1415-1500 (Plus listen again)

Slark

Guest
The Climb
By Lance Woodman

A drama-documentary which follows two competitive cyclists as they face the
biggest challenge of their sport, the hill climb. Jazz star Soweto Kinch
talks about a similar challenge experienced by musicians as they improvise.

Graham

On 04/07/2007 10:52, Slark wrote:
> The Climb
> By Lance Woodman
>
> A drama-documentary which follows two competitive cyclists as they face the
> biggest challenge of their sport, the hill climb. Jazz star Soweto Kinch
> talks about a similar challenge experienced by musicians as they improvise.

Thanks for that. I've recorded it, but haven't yet listened to it. I
missed reading the bit about jazz - having heard the theme music, I'm
doubtful whether I'll actually be able to listen to the play all the way
through, because I *really* /really/ can't stand jazz.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

in message <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 04/07/2007 10:52, Slark wrote:
>> The Climb
>> By Lance Woodman
>>
>> A drama-documentary which follows two competitive cyclists as they face
>> the biggest challenge of their sport, the hill climb. Jazz star Soweto
>> Kinch talks about a similar challenge experienced by musicians as they
>> improvise.

> Thanks for that. I've recorded it, but haven't yet listened to it. I
> missed reading the bit about jazz - having heard the theme music, I'm
> doubtful whether I'll actually be able to listen to the play all the way
> through, because I *really* /really/ can't stand jazz.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. It had one of those constructions which are
supposed to be 'interesting', but which essentially mean that there wasn't
enough material to fill the time so extraneous stuff had to be inserted to
make it longer. Some of the social interaction of club cyclists was well
captured, but carrying on a shouted conversation all the way up a steep
hill was a bit comic. If I had the breath to do all that shouting, I'd use
it to climb faster!

Just as defying the law of gravity through building aircraft requires
careful design and a lot of effort, so too does defying laws of
economics. It seems to be a deeply ingrained aspect of humanity to
forever strive to improve things, so unquestioning acceptance of a
free market system seems to me to be unnatural. ;; Charles Bryant