RapidFire TX gears seized? on a Trek 8700

Mustard

Sep 23, 2005
Hi,

I've had my bike (old Trek 8700) in storage for about 4 years...decided it was time to get back into mountain biking (use to do races in the early 90s...those were the days ;-))...took it out but unfortunately have a few issues with it.....;-( Unfortunately I'm not great with bike mechanics....

The RapidFire TX gears on the right hand side (rear derailleur) are seemingly frozen/stuck and the bike its currently stuck in top gear on the bottom sprockets. The level that clicks the gears back up the sprockets is just not moving/clicking.... I'm pretty sure that things were working ok before the bike went into storage...Any tips or ideas where to start? I'm slightly worried about taking the gear shifter apart as I've heard that they are a nightmare to fix...Could it be that the cable is stuck somewhere? Any easy way to check?

Also there appears to be a little bit of play in the bottom bracket (moves from side to side about 5mm)....I'm guessing this can be easily fixed by tightening it up with the appropriate tool? Is there a correct way to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance.