Re: Are 2004 Veloce brakes better than 1990 Dura Ace?

RonSonic

Guest
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:37:04 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I picked up some 2004 Veloce brakes and my bike currently has 1990'ish
>DA brakes. Would it be an upgrade or not to put the new Veloce on?
>
>Have brakes changed much in 15 years?

I am not a skilled bike mechanic, so my priorities might be different. Newer,
dual-pivot brakes have more leverage available, which really isn't an issue.
They also aren't fussy to adjust for side-to-side symmetry, which might be an
issue. That was alway my biggest brake gripe, getting them to open evenly on
both sides.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:37:04 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>I picked up some 2004 Veloce brakes and my bike currently has 1990'ish
>>DA brakes. Would it be an upgrade or not to put the new Veloce on?
>>
>>Have brakes changed much in 15 years?

> I am not a skilled bike mechanic, so my priorities might be different. Newer,
> dual-pivot brakes have more leverage available, which really isn't an issue.
> They also aren't fussy to adjust for side-to-side symmetry, which might be an
> issue. That was alway my biggest brake gripe, getting them to open evenly on
> both sides.

I agree. I went from Suntour Superbe in 1983, had a 20-year layoff from
riding, and bought Veloce last year.

What impresses me the most, though, is how effortless the braking is,
even with hands across the tops of the hoods.

/Robert