Re: Are 2004 Veloce brakes better than 1990 Dura Ace?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RonSonic, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:37:04 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >I picked up some 2004 Veloce brakes and my bike currently has 1990'ish
    >DA brakes. Would it be an upgrade or not to put the new Veloce on?
    >
    >Have brakes changed much in 15 years?

    I am not a skilled bike mechanic, so my priorities might be different. Newer,
    dual-pivot brakes have more leverage available, which really isn't an issue.
    They also aren't fussy to adjust for side-to-side symmetry, which might be an
    issue. That was alway my biggest brake gripe, getting them to open evenly on
    both sides.

    Ron

    Tags:

  2. Robert

    Robert Guest

    RonSonic wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:37:04 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >>I picked up some 2004 Veloce brakes and my bike currently has 1990'ish
    >>DA brakes. Would it be an upgrade or not to put the new Veloce on?
    >>
    >>Have brakes changed much in 15 years?

    > I am not a skilled bike mechanic, so my priorities might be different. Newer,
    > dual-pivot brakes have more leverage available, which really isn't an issue.
    > They also aren't fussy to adjust for side-to-side symmetry, which might be an
    > issue. That was alway my biggest brake gripe, getting them to open evenly on
    > both sides.

    I agree. I went from Suntour Superbe in 1983, had a 20-year layoff from
    riding, and bought Veloce last year.

    What impresses me the most, though, is how effortless the braking is,
    even with hands across the tops of the hoods.

    /Robert