Re: Buddhist Bicycle Jerseys

[email protected] (Bill Z.) writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> [email protected] (Bill Z.) writes:
>>
>> > The first line of my message started with '> ' and quoted you as
>> > saying "**** Durbin wrote." The remaining lines quoted you as
>> > quoting **** Durbin, so those lines started with '> >
>> > '. Everything was quoted correctly using a convention that has
>> > existed for over 30 years.

>> Except the attribution to Bill S. (Sorni) should have been deleted
>> since you didn't include anything he wrote, and you should have
>> gone back to the source article instead. Or you could have deleted
>> the attribution to Bill S and removed one '>' from all the lines.
>> That would have removed any ambiguity- which IIRC has also been
>> part of these conventions for 30 years.

> Actually, it is better not to do that, and indicate whose message
> you replied to. These days, you have some posters who modify
> someone else's text, either quoting it selectively or (more rarely)
> forging it. If (as a hypothetical case) **** Durbin then complained
> that he wasn't quoted properly, it would be obvious who was
> responsible. 30 years ago, you didn't have to worry about willful
> misquotes - everyone on the ARPAnet had a much higher standard of
> conduct that is typical today.

You seem determined to miss the central concern in your insistence on
adherence to the standards. Obviously your mind is made up and not
amenable to change. IMHO (and the HO of several others) your use of
the standards in this case was non-standard, hence the controversy.
If you were concerned about whether **** Durbin was quoted properly,
then you should have climbed back up the thread and quoted ****'s post
directly. However, you are determined to see your actions as correct
and therefore no argument will sway you. Classic Usenet crapola.

To reply back to the original poster's question- I for one would be
interested in a Buddhist themed jersey, but not this one. I am not
generally attracted by devotional images as I think they miss the
essential point of Buddhism- I prefer the Ch'an and Zen imagery that
challenges the viewer to wake up.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> writes:
> To reply back to the original poster's question- I for one would be
> interested in a Buddhist themed jersey, but not this one. I am not
> generally attracted by devotional images as I think they miss the
> essential point of Buddhism- I prefer the Ch'an and Zen imagery that
> challenges the viewer to wake up.

Maybe these folks might have something to offer:
http://www.magentastudios.com/129753

They've got all kinds of interesting design stuff.
But they seem to be more into T-shirts than jerseys.
Their web site is a little too gnarly for my old version
of Netscrape to explore.

cheers,
Tom