Re: Fitting a 126mm wheel to a 130mm-spaced frame

John Everett

Guest
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:57:07 -0800, "C. Peak" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible/recommendable to fit an old 7-speed
>126mm hub on a big-tubed aluminum frame with 130mm spacing between the
>dropouts? I'm thinking about buying a used Cannondale frame to fit my
>components from an older bike, but am a bit trepidacious about bending
>the frame. I've done a few google searches but every similar post seems
>to be about fitting a wider hub to a narrower frame -- not the other way
>around.
>
>By the way, yes I have considered the option of somehow widening the
>rear hub, but am not entirely sure if this is possible either. It's a
>freewheel, not a cassette.

It's easy to widen the hub width by adding spacers. Where to put the
4mm worth of spacers depends upon whether you want to readjust the
rear derailleur or re-dish the wheel.