Re: Iron man on NBC

Bill C

> I saw that there would be two hours of coverage of an Iron Man on

NBC,
> so, taking into account it was NBC, I checked it out. Rogers often

has
> Iron man-world cup tri coverage, which is pretty decent. But after
> about half an hour of NBC, I barely saw any coverage of the race
> itself. Instead I saw:
>
> A profile of one of the athletes, firefighter and his braindead bimbo
> wife, talking about their WEDDING. And various interviews with her
> hairstylist friends in the salon on Long Island. It was like they

were
> trying to show us how cute they all were, but instead they were just
> embarrassingly dumb and ridiculous, talking about a sport they

totally
> knew NOTHING about. They all talked like the woman on Seinfeld who

had
> the ugly baby.
>
> - more athlete profiles about overcoming the odds, ie handicaps,
> diseases, etc.
>
> -lots of bizarre new age music
>
> -shots of various cyclist's legs as they pedal. OR their heads. I
> think I saw a whole body maybe twice in an hour.
>
> -disco soundtrack
>
> -overwrought narration.
>
> I think for NBC, this is 'coverage'. I wasn't really surprised. Oy.

Marlene I didn't even bother. The network coverage has been pitiful at
best and it just isn't even worth bothering with, but I guess you found
that out. I think it's against the rules to actually cover the event,
not try to turn it into a hyperactive soap opera.
Bill C

On 1 May 2005 14:30:36 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> I saw that there would be two hours of coverage of an Iron Man on

>NBC,
>> so, taking into account it was NBC, I checked it out. Rogers often

>has
>> Iron man-world cup tri coverage, which is pretty decent. But after
>> about half an hour of NBC, I barely saw any coverage of the race
>> itself. Instead I saw:
>>
>> A profile of one of the athletes, firefighter and his braindead bimbo
>> wife, talking about their WEDDING. And various interviews with her
>> hairstylist friends in the salon on Long Island. It was like they

>were
>> trying to show us how cute they all were, but instead they were just
>> embarrassingly dumb and ridiculous, talking about a sport they

>totally
>> knew NOTHING about. They all talked like the woman on Seinfeld who

>had
>> the ugly baby.
>>
>> - more athlete profiles about overcoming the odds, ie handicaps,
>> diseases, etc.
>>
>> -lots of bizarre new age music
>>
>> -shots of various cyclist's legs as they pedal. OR their heads. I
>> think I saw a whole body maybe twice in an hour.
>>
>> -disco soundtrack
>>
>> -overwrought narration.
>>
>> I think for NBC, this is 'coverage'. I wasn't really surprised. Oy.

>Marlene I didn't even bother. The network coverage has been pitiful at
>best and it just isn't even worth bothering with, but I guess you found
>that out. I think it's against the rules to actually cover the event,
>not try to turn it into a hyperactive soap opera.
> Bill C

I shouldn't have bothered either, but even I, cynical as I am, didn't
think it would be THAT laughable.

I always think of what would happen if NBC covered other sports like
that, but then I remmeber the superbowl pre-game shows. I don't watch
football, but I've caught a couple of those in recent years and it was
just gagariffic: widows and orphans, sob stories, Jesus this and that,
sappy music, etc. ANd this is a FOOTBALL game- do guys sit and watch
this stuff and weep? I guess this is designed for us FEMALE viewers...