Re: Post-flu recovery and commute?

Dane Jackson

Guest
Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
> I know we've seen some interesting discussions about cycling when sick
> and when recovering in the past. IIRC, the consensus was to dress
> warmly, start slowly, and see how you feel -- if you're OK, go harder
> and farther, if you start feeling worse, stop.

My general policy is that if I'm sick enough not to bike, I'm sick
enough to miss work. I can't think of anytime I haven't followed that
rule for myself. Really the worse problem is when I'm at work and
realize I'm feeling really poorly and need to get home. That only
happened once, but by the time I could leave it was after midnight.
I probably should have called a cab.

Your mileage may vary of course depending on how often/badly you get
sick, your general constitution, how vigorous/long your commute is
to work. Mine is a moderate length ride (about 9.5 miles), and fairly
hilly.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:52:34 -0000, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I know we've seen some interesting discussions about cycling when sick
>> and when recovering in the past. IIRC, the consensus was to dress
>> warmly, start slowly, and see how you feel -- if you're OK, go harder
>> and farther, if you start feeling worse, stop.

>My general policy is that if I'm sick enough not to bike, I'm sick
>enough to miss work. I can't think of anytime I haven't followed that
>rule for myself. Really the worse problem is when I'm at work and
>realize I'm feeling really poorly and need to get home. That only
>happened once, but by the time I could leave it was after midnight.
>I probably should have called a cab.

Oh, good, a dissenting view. :) Although I'm not sure I have that
much sick leave built up...

What happened after your episode? Did you stay out sick (longer than
usual), or recover slowly?

>Your mileage may vary of course depending on how often/badly you get
>sick, your general constitution, how vigorous/long your commute is
>to work. Mine is a moderate length ride (about 9.5 miles), and fairly
>hilly.

My shortest comfortable route is just over 6 miles, and the work end
has 2-3 hills. I can usually pinpoint what gets me sick. This time
it was a combination of too long and hard a ride the preceding
weekend, and a wife and daughter getting the flu first.

Pat

P.S. Isn't this more interesting bicycle-related content than some of
the other threads the last few weeks?

Email address works as is.

Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:52:34 -0000, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>>My general policy is that if I'm sick enough not to bike, I'm sick
>>enough to miss work. I can't think of anytime I haven't followed that
>>rule for myself. Really the worse problem is when I'm at work and
>>realize I'm feeling really poorly and need to get home. That only
>>happened once, but by the time I could leave it was after midnight.
>>I probably should have called a cab.

> Oh, good, a dissenting view. :) Although I'm not sure I have that
> much sick leave built up...

I suppose it helps that I only tend to get sick once a year or so.
I'm disgustingly healthy in general, though the cold/sniffles occurence
has gone up since my older daughter started preschool. Which is no
surprise really.

> What happened after your episode? Did you stay out sick (longer than
> usual), or recover slowly?

No apreciable difference. I managed to make it home without yawning in
technicolor, and I actually felt a tiny bit better than before the ride.
Of course I felt like I was dying *while* I was cycling home.

Of course I really feel like I should throw a disclaimer that noone
should follow my example. I've never quite figured out whether I'm
stupidly stubborn or stubbornly stupid...

> P.S. Isn't this more interesting bicycle-related content than some of
> the other threads the last few weeks?

No comment.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g