Re: Problem with new Shimano Cassette sticky freewheel action

A Muzi

Guest
Wayne wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently overhauled the drive train on my bike, fitting a new Shimano
> Cassette, New Chain and new chain rings. Sometimes when I stop pedalling
> the the ratchet or freewheel doesn't immediately work on the cassette so
> the chain goes slack between the top of the cassette and the chain ring
> to the point it lands on the wheel stay, the chain on the underside
> eventually becomes so short that the freewheel kicks in and starts
> revolving properly. I've ridden about 80 odd miles now hoping it would
> free up but it hasn't. Is it possible that I've overtightened the
> locking ring on the cassette or am I just unlucky and have a duff one?
>
> It's a Shimano 9sp Deore cassette.

Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I recently overhauled the drive train on my bike, fitting a new

Shimano
> > Cassette, New Chain and new chain rings. Sometimes when I stop

pedalling
> > the the ratchet or freewheel doesn't immediately work on the

cassette so
> > the chain goes slack between the top of the cassette and the chain

ring
> > to the point it lands on the wheel stay, the chain on the underside
> > eventually becomes so short that the freewheel kicks in and starts
> > revolving properly. I've ridden about 80 odd miles now hoping it

would
> > free up but it hasn't. Is it possible that I've overtightened the
> > locking ring on the cassette or am I just unlucky and have a duff

one?

> > It's a Shimano 9sp Deore cassette.

> Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
> spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Good call Andy.

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 06:56 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
> > Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
> > spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette

Hi,
Yes there is a plate I'll check this out, thanks.

Wayne.

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 06:56 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
> > Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
> > spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette

Hi,
Yes there is a plastic plate, I'll check this for clearance, thanks.

Wayne.