Re: Rim damaged by hanging bike on a hook?

Ken Lehner writes:

>> APRIL FOOL!

> Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31 on a
> triathlon forum, as was the response from a representative of the
> wheel manufacturer. I posted here to get some opinions from those
> who might be helpful. Your reply was not.

That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in that case,
putting it in another way, it is a stupid question as was the answer
if it was not adequately explained in that forum. It has been
discussed here a few times with inane "maybe's". If the hook isn't
padded then it can scratch the rim, but that's about it for the
method.

In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the front wheel
in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In this part of California
busses of some transit systems are are equipped with hooks to hang
several bicycle side-by-side on the rear of the bus with the tires
riding in a u-shaped channel.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Jobst Brandt wrote:
> Ken Lehner writes:
> >> APRIL FOOL!

> > Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31 on a
> > triathlon forum, as was the response from a representative of the
> > wheel manufacturer. I posted here to get some opinions from those who
> > might be helpful. Your reply was not.

> That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in that case,
> putting it in another way, it is a stupid question as was the answer if
> it was not adequately explained in that forum. It has been discussed
> here a few times with inane "maybe's". If the hook isn't padded then it
> can scratch the rim, but that's about it for the method.
> In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the front wheel in
> baggage areas and on trains and busses. In this part of California
> busses of some transit systems are are equipped with hooks to hang
> several bicycle side-by- side on the rear of the bus with the tires
> riding in a u- shaped channel.
> Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid questions (see
Dilbert).

But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers certainly exist.

You might ponder how long it's been since you asked a real question,
stupid or otherwise, before condemning the original poster.

Carl Fogel

--

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31 on a
>>> triathlon forum, as was the response from a representative of the
>>> wheel manufacturer. I posted here to get some opinions from those
>>> who might be helpful. Your reply was not.

>> That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in that
>> case, putting it in another way, it is a stupid question as was the
>> answer if it was not adequately explained in that forum. It has
>> been discussed here a few times with inane "maybe's". If the hook
>> isn't padded then it can scratch the rim, but that's about it for
>> the method.

>> In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the front
>> wheel in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In this part of
>> California busses of some transit systems are are equipped with
>> hooks to hang several bicycle side-by- side on the rear of the bus
>> with the tires riding in a u- shaped channel.

> Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid questions (see
> Dilbert).

> But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers certainly exist.

> You might ponder how long it's been since you asked a real question,
> stupid or otherwise, before condemning the original poster.

Maybe you have a better word for such an inane question posed by an
adult bicyclist. As was explained, there are enormous forces greater
than a human can exert with the hand on and in a bicycle wheel. The
rim is so strong than it cannot be visibly deformed by hand, the hand
that can lift an entire bicycle with ease. I don't believe in the
dumbing down of civilized people who should learn to discover such
basic things on their own.

You don't have to ask about everything, especially without first
thinking about it. It's not a research problem that requires any
special scientific background, just practical living experience.

In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that stupidity is
standard. That's why we are supposed to believe the world is safer
now that the USA is out to "punish" terrorists worldwide... and it is
widely believed as we see by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to
make sense as long as its said by "proper authority".

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

> You [Carl Fogel] don't have to ask about everything, especially without first
> thinking about it. It's not a research problem that requires any
> special scientific background, just practical living experience.

I believe that Mr. Fogel does feel a need to ask questions about
everything. :)

> In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that stupidity is
> standard. That's why we are supposed to believe the world is safer
> now that the USA is out to "punish" terrorists worldwide... and it is
> widely believed as we see by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to
> make sense as long as its said by "proper authority".

Stupidity (or at least not thinking in a logical manner) does seem to be
a rather common trait - one that is increased by watching television.

Where do we get such racks?

Matt O'Toole asked whether I could produce a reference to these
hanging bike racks on buses. Alas, I am amazed at the lack of
information on the web (ala Google) here or abroad on such racks. All
I could find was a picture of Swiss Railway bicycle rentals SBB where
you can see such storage. The density should be obvious. Buses with
such racks can take up to 8 bicycles in the back of the bus.

http://www.rent-a-bike.ch/2004/index.html

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Jobst-<< Maybe you have a better word for such an inane question posed by an
adult bicyclist. >><BR><BR>

geeezz, Jobst. If a question is asked due to lack of knowledge, is there really
any 'stupid questions'?

Sure are a lot of stupid answers tho.

Your distaste for people that ask questions that you view as stupid or inane
speaks volumes.

Jobst<< I don't believe in the
dumbing down of civilized people who should learn to discover such
basic things on their own. >><BR><BR>

As much as you would like to think that you know all things...ask me a question
about Naval Aviation, specifically F-4 and F-14 or Adversary missions in the
80's and I guarantee I won't call those questions stoopid.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

> >> That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in that
> >> case, putting it in another way, it is a stupid question as was the
> >> answer if it was not adequately explained in that forum. It has
> >> been discussed here a few times with inane "maybe's". If the hook
> >> isn't padded then it can scratch the rim, but that's about it for
> >> the method.

> >> In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the front
> >> wheel in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In this part of
> >> California busses of some transit systems are are equipped with
> >> hooks to hang several bicycle side-by- side on the rear of the bus
> >> with the tires riding in a u- shaped channel.

> > Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid questions (see
> > Dilbert).

> > But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers certainly exist.

> > You might ponder how long it's been since you asked a real question,
> > stupid or otherwise, before condemning the original poster.

> Maybe you have a better word for such an inane question posed by an
> adult bicyclist. As was explained, there are enormous forces greater
> than a human can exert with the hand on and in a bicycle wheel. The
> rim is so strong than it cannot be visibly deformed by hand, the hand
> that can lift an entire bicycle with ease. I don't believe in the
> dumbing down of civilized people who should learn to discover such
> basic things on their own.
>
> You don't have to ask about everything, especially without first
> thinking about it. It's not a research problem that requires any
> special scientific background, just practical living experience.
>
> In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that stupidity is
> standard. That's why we are supposed to believe the world is safer
> now that the USA is out to "punish" terrorists worldwide... and it is
> widely believed as we see by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to
> make sense as long as its said by "proper authority".
>
> Jobst Brandt
> [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Dodged as usual.

Carl Fogel

> >> That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in that
> >> case, putting it in another way, it is a stupid question as was the
> >> answer if it was not adequately explained in that forum. It has
> >> been discussed here a few times with inane "maybe's". If the hook
> >> isn't padded then it can scratch the rim, but that's about it for
> >> the method.

> >> In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the front
> >> wheel in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In this part of
> >> California busses of some transit systems are are equipped with
> >> hooks to hang several bicycle side-by- side on the rear of the bus
> >> with the tires riding in a u- shaped channel.

> > Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid questions (see
> > Dilbert).

> > But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers certainly exist.

> > You might ponder how long it's been since you asked a real question,
> > stupid or otherwise, before condemning the original poster.

> Maybe you have a better word for such an inane question posed by an
> adult bicyclist. As was explained, there are enormous forces greater
> than a human can exert with the hand on and in a bicycle wheel. The
> rim is so strong than it cannot be visibly deformed by hand, the hand
> that can lift an entire bicycle with ease. I don't believe in the
> dumbing down of civilized people who should learn to discover such
> basic things on their own.
>
> You don't have to ask about everything, especially without first
> thinking about it. It's not a research problem that requires any
> special scientific background, just practical living experience.
>
> In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that stupidity is
> standard. That's why we are supposed to believe the world is safer
> now that the USA is out to "punish" terrorists worldwide... and it is
> widely believed as we see by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to
> make sense as long as its said by "proper authority".
>
> Jobst Brandt
> [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Dodged as usual.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> Where do we get such racks?
>
> Matt O'Toole asked whether I could produce a reference to these
> hanging bike racks on buses. Alas, I am amazed at the lack of
> information on the web (ala Google) here or abroad on such racks. All
> I could find was a picture of Swiss Railway bicycle rentals SBB where
> you can see such storage. The density should be obvious. Buses with
> such racks can take up to 8 bicycles in the back of the bus.
>
> http://www.rent-a-bike.ch/2004/index.html

Thanks for looking! I wasn't able to find anything either. However, if I knew
which bus company or transit authority had these racks, maybe I could just find
out from them. On whose buses have you seen them?

Racks are usually on the front because of safety concerns -- the bus driver can
see when someone is done putting the bike in the rack, and if it has been done
correctly. Plus, having anyone doing anything behind the bus probably makes
lawyers nervous. But if rear racks are already being used *somewhere in the
US,* then selling the idea would be a lot easier.

Matt O.

Peter Chisholm writes:

> As much as you would like to think that you know all things... ask
> me a question about Naval Aviation, specifically F-4 and F-14 or
> Adversary missions in the 80's and I guarantee I won't call those
> questions stoopid.

I've heard that the canopy of these jest cannot be cleaned with a
blast of water and dried with a cloth if they have dew on them in the
morning. Should I use only approved naval spray for that and where do
I get it?

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Matt O'Toole writes:

>> Where do we get such racks?

>> Matt O'Toole asked whether I could produce a reference to these
>> hanging bike racks on buses. Alas, I am amazed at the lack of
>> information on the web (ala Google) here or abroad on such racks.
>> All I could find was a picture of Swiss Railway bicycle rentals SBB
>> where you can see such storage. The density should be obvious.
>> Buses with such racks can take up to 8 bicycles in the back of the
>> bus.

>> http://www.rent-a-bike.ch/2004/index.html

> Thanks for looking! I wasn't able to find anything either.
> However, if I knew which bus company or transit authority had these
> racks, maybe I could just find out from them. On whose buses have
> you seen them?

I've seen them both in Europe and here but didn't note whether the
ones I saw here were tour busses for which the driver loaded the
bicycles or what. The hooks are staggered so the handlebars do not
interfere.

> Racks are usually on the front because of safety concerns -- the bus
> driver can see when someone is done putting the bike in the rack,
> and if it has been done correctly. Plus, having anyone doing
> anything behind the bus probably makes lawyers nervous. But if rear
> racks are already being used *somewhere in the US,* then selling the
> idea would be a lot easier.

I think that is a compelling reason for most buses to not use rear
racks. Front racks cannot be vertical because they would obscure
driver vision. The trouble is that front racks usually hold 2 or 3
bicycles after which you cannot get on if the rack is full.

When I first got a good bicycle I hung it from a hook that came
straight out of the wall on our back porch. The hook, much like the
vinyl covered bicycle hooks that are available today,caught the front
wheel about a spoke above the tire contact point. This holds a
bicycle just off the floor or higher, perpendicular to the wall. My
mother didn't want the bicycle in my room so that was the next best.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Jobst-<< I've heard that the canopy of these jest cannot be cleaned with a
blast of water and dried with a cloth if they have dew on them in the
morning. Should I use only approved naval spray for that and where do
I get it? >><BR><BR>

Nope, onboard the ship, we washed all the jets, including the canopy, with
fresh water and a mil-spec detergent not unlike dish soap...then generally let
air dry. For before launch cleaning of the canopy, a clean cloth and a white
plexiglass cleaner that also took scratches out of plastic watch crystals, like
my Rolex.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.