Re: Ultimate Medium Wheelbase?

On May 2, 4:42 am, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> [...]
>
> > Recumbents with PROPER weight distribution will skid the front wheel
> > instead of sending the rider over the bars. Some early bad designs, such
> > as the Hypercycle, would send the rider off the front under heavy
> > braking, and had too little weight on the rear wheel for it to provide
> > much braking.

> > I often wonder if the Hypercycle and its ilk are responsible for much of
> > the negative attitudes towards recumbents by certain riders. Certainly,
> > if a rider's only experience was the ill handling, poor climbing and
> > poor braking Hypercycle, they would not look kindly on recumbents as a
> > whole.

> The Hypercycle was the first recumbent that I ever saw. I never did get to
> ride it, but I loved it at first sight. I just about bought it, but a bit of
> research convinced me that SWB was inherently flawed. So instead I got the
> Infinity, a LWB. I have since experienced SWB, but I remain firmly in the
> camp of LWB.
>
> Has anyone on this newsgroup had any experience with the Bacchetta Agio?
> This is a medium wheelbase recumbent with an optimum bottom bracket
> placement (slightly below the seat height). RANS had a bike somewhat like
> this many years ago, the Tailwind, but they never got the sizing right nor
> the front end handling. The Agio would seem to me to be the best medium
> wheelbase recumbent ever to come down the pike.

I tested an Agio last summer at Urbane Cycles in Toronto and it was
great. I had to contend with lots of car and ped. traffic and
streetcar tracks and I really liked its tight handling.

I recently sold my Linear LWB and will probably build my next bent.
But if I were to buy one new the Agio would be it.

Mark