Re: We're all Dinosaurs



M

MSeries

Guest
[Not Responding] wrote:
> Yesterday I met some internet people in RL. It was a ride put together
> by someone on the C+ web forum.
>
> It was all good fun. But I was struck by how this new generation of
> internet users have almost no knowledge of usenet. I've been using
> usenet for years; I like the relatively open and non-proprietorial
> structure. I even grudgingly tolerate deja style archiving as it
> creates a truely open and searchable cache of knowledge.
>
> It appears that however much I dislike web forums, they do seem to be
> taking over as the internet discussion tool.


So why do you C+ forum then ? What is your point ? That everyone should
be using usenet instead of web forums ? While I agree that it would
indeed serve the same purpose, especially as the C+ forum with no
graphics I'd like to suggest a possible reason why usenet isn't used
more widely. Not everyone uses an mail/new client. Not everyone is able
nor wants to install such a beast on their machines. Look at the flack
people, including myself, have recieved on here when attempting to use a
browser interface to u.r.c. . Google groups access is delayed makingit
useless, GG 2 is quirky, intermitent and doesn't follow the rules.
Cycclingforums is highly frowned upon. Is it any wonder that people
don't bother using usenet for this group ?
 
M

MSeries

Guest
James Annan wrote:
>......................, although it's only usenet
> and it doesn't have to be taken that seriously


sigh, I know but in it sometimes is taken very seriously by posters on
here. Such replies such as "if you can play by the rules then don't play
at all" simply because GG2 wasn't threading properly is really not
necessary.


>
>> GG 2 is quirky, intermitent and doesn't follow the rules.
>> Cycclingforums is highly frowned upon. Is it any wonder that people
>> don't bother using usenet for this group ?

>
>
> I think there are already plenty of valuable contributors here: I'm
> happy that most people go elsewhere.
>


Can never have plenty of valuable contributors, how will we know what we
are missing ?


> I'm on a couple of email lists that also work pretty well, but on the
> whole I am wary of privately-owned (and moderated) fora.
>
> James
 
M

MSeries

Guest
[Not Responding] wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:39:49 -0700, MSeries <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>
>>>It appears that however much I dislike web forums, they do seem to be
>>>taking over as the internet discussion tool.

>>
>>So why do you C+ forum then ? What is your point ? That everyone should
>>be using usenet instead of web forums ?

>
>
> My "point" was merely an observation that in the past if you wanted to
> discuss your favoured subject, you used usenet and so did all other
> interested parties on the internet. Today most people and certainly
> the new generation of users turn to web forums by default.
>
> I'm not sure I was saying everyone *should* use usenet; it's a matter
> of choice. But we as a community are certainly losing something
> collectively as the division, privatisation and censorship of
> discussion takes place.
>
> Why do I use the C+ forum? Because I like talking about cycling. The
> fact that I don't rate then venue is secondary.
>


I use the C+ forum for the same reason as you.
 

Similar threads

K
Replies
0
Views
749
UK and Europe
Keith Willoughby
K
D
Replies
0
Views
741
D
J
Replies
7
Views
668
M
S
Replies
7
Views
724
UK and Europe
Dave Larrington
D
S
Replies
1
Views
767
T
T
Replies
0
Views
1K
T
N
Replies
2
Views
687
D
P
Replies
2
Views
706
P
N
Replies
35
Views
1K
UK and Europe
Dave Larrington
D