Re: West London commute - any suggestions for a safer route?

POHB

Guest
Jon wrote:
> Hammersmith LCC group have been campaigning to improve the Shepherd's
> Bush Green junction www.hfcyclists.org.uk

I recall an article where a journo was taken for a cycle ride E along
the Uxbridge Road. It used the "wonderful" cycling provision when he
arrived at Shepherds Bush Green as a stick to beat Ealing council for
not making good provision. Ha!

POHB wrote:
> I recall an article where a journo was taken for a cycle ride E along
> the Uxbridge Road. It used the "wonderful" cycling provision when he
> arrived at Shepherds Bush Green as a stick to beat Ealing council for
> not making good provision. Ha!

Depends what you mean by good provision. Me, I think there should be
no need for off-road provision if the speed limit is 30 or below. But
30 should be enforced to the letter so that cyclists changing lane
don't have to deal with too large a speed difference.

A contraflow on the north side of the green would save a lot more time
than the wiggly path through the middle - but is this another gyratory
that should be reconverted to 2-way throughout?
- - - -
On the original question, Harrow Road is a possible alternative to the
towpath east of Scrubs Lane, and west of there there are various back
street routes through Harlesden. Not sure how you get from Harlesden
to Perivale without using the towpath or a long detour, though.

I assume you use the towpath in the morning?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

> Depends what you mean by good provision. Me, I think there should be
> no need for off-road provision if the speed limit is 30 or below. But
> 30 should be enforced to the letter so that cyclists changing lane
> don't have to deal with too large a speed difference.

IMO, good provision would be a continuous connection between the cycle
path around Holland Park roundabout and the two western ends of
Shepherd's Bush. At the moment, that path ends in the pavement and
cyclists then have to struggle over to the path which is on the other
side of 5 lanes of traffic and maybe 50 metres further down the road.
The current layout is so bad that most cyclists just don't bother to
use it at all and use the road instead. As far as I can tell, the
proposal to improve the junction at www.hfcyclists.org.uk doesn't
include anything like this. I am thinking about writing to TFL to
suggest this. Anyone want to join me? The more people who say
something, the more likely something might be done.

> A contraflow on the north side of the green would save a lot more time
> than the wiggly path through the middle - but is this another gyratory
> that should be reconverted to 2-way throughout?
> - - - -
> On the original question, Harrow Road is a possible alternative to the
> towpath east of Scrubs Lane, and west of there there are various back
> street routes through Harlesden. Not sure how you get from Harlesden
> to Perivale without using the towpath or a long detour, though.
>
> I assume you use the towpath in the morning?

Yes, towpath in the morning. The LCN and minor roads route planner at
http://www.cyclemaps.net/gaz.asp comes up with lots of zigzags which I
think partly go through Harlesden and then cross the North Circular.
I'm not sure whether it is reporting the distance correctly (it shows
only 8.33 miles) but I might give the route a try one evening.

Pawel

[email protected] wrote:

> Yes, towpath in the morning. The LCN and minor roads route planner at
> http://www.cyclemaps.net/gaz.asp comes up with lots of zigzags which I
> think partly go through Harlesden and then cross the North Circular.
> I'm not sure whether it is reporting the distance correctly (it shows
> only 8.33 miles) but I might give the route a try one evening.
>
> Pawel

I thought when I looked it came up with a route using ? Noel Road in
Acton to get to Horn Lane and ?DuCane Road past Wormwood Scrubs to get
further east. I'm not sure how the crossing of the A40 was achieved -
but those two looked to me to be worth a look. I think there was an
option to go north of Notting Hill without going as far as the Harrow
Road.