Re: Winter riding - Clinchers or tubulars ?

David L. Johnson

Guest
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:51:01 +0000, Retro Bob wrote:

> I am going to convert one of my bikes to a slop handling winter machine. I
> ride in New England where the road may be very messy in the Winter. I
> intend to stay out of snow and off ice,

Good luck with that.

> I have a vintage 27" bike which runs tubulars.

27" tubulars? Hardly. Those are the same size rims as 700c clinchers.

> My first choice is to by
> some cyclocross tubulars. But, this bike will also run 27x1 1/4 (or 1/8)
> clinchers.

You have to re-position the brake to go to these clinchers. I have a bike
like this, too. Many road bikes from the late '60s could use either
tubulars (with rim diameter the same as 700c clinchers) or the clinchers
available in the US at the time, which were 27".

Of the two, you have more choice (bit of a surprise) with tubulars, since
some cross racers still use them. You might even be able to find studded
cross tubies, which would allow you to manage ice as well. You won't
find many options with 27" clinchers.

It would mean getting new wheels, but 700c clincher cross tires are
another choice. If you have a set of tubular wheels you are willing to
ride in these conditions, though, just get the cross tubies.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

check out the icebiking web site... and join our icebiking listserv...
lots of these guys commute all winter.

http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

charlieb ( I mountain bike every day all year 'round)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:06:46 GMT, Retro Bob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:15:18 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I have a vintage 27" bike which runs tubulars.

>>27" tubulars? Hardly. Those are the same size rims as 700c clinchers.
>>

>Hmmm... well, since both you and Sheldon told me it was so, I checked
>with a measuring tape. Yep... you're right, the tubulars are just a
>smidge over the 700c-630 size.
>
>So, what's the diameter of a 27" clincher rim ?
>

>>You have to re-position the brake to go to these clinchers. I have a bike
>>like this, too. Many road bikes from the late '60s could use either
>>tubulars (with rim diameter the same as 700c clinchers) or the clinchers
>>available in the US at the time, which were 27".

>Lots of clearance. I actually plan to swap the brakes anyway...if the
>27" clincher is big enough, I can use my short reach brakeset and
>save some hassle (longs on this bike now... and assuming the short
>reach won't have issues with the fender.
>
>>Of the two, you have more choice (bit of a surprise) with tubulars, since
>>some cross racers still use them. You might even be able to find studded
>>cross tubies, which would allow you to manage ice as well. You won't
>>find many options with 27" clinchers.

>Yes, I saw some cyclo-cross tyres that look pretty aggressive. That's
>what started me thinking about tubies in the Winter.
>
>>It would mean getting new wheels, but 700c clincher cross tires are
>>another choice. If you have a set of tubular wheels you are willing to
>>ride in these conditions, though, just get the cross tubies.

>Yep, have a spare set that's not too elegant. That was the idea behind
>not using my soon to be favorite bike. There's lots of salt and guck
>here in the Winter. Sometimes snow & ice, sometimes not, but always
>leftover guck.
>
>Thanks,

"Charles Beristain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> check out the icebiking web site... and join our icebiking listserv...
> lots of these guys commute all winter.
>
> http://users.rcn.com/icebike/
>

> charlieb ( I mountain bike every day all year 'round)
>

>>>Of the two, you have more choice (bit of a surprise) with tubulars, since
>>>some cross racers still use them. You might even be able to find studded
>>>cross tubies, which would allow you to manage ice as well. You won't
>>>find many options with 27" clinchers.

Variety may be limited, but 27" tires should come cheap enough to sacrifice.
Among other the useful articles available on Icebike are procedures to
turn modify your ordinary rubber tread for riding on ice, using little more
than some steel fasteners and a tire liner. This probably works best for the
lower pressure fat tires, but should be adequate for a number of commutes.
I've gotten over a hundred miles apiece from my Schwalbe Stelvios at
100psi (my only option, as even Nokian has yet to offer a 20" studded tire).

David