Rear derailleur pulley not parallel with cog

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Olaf, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Olaf

    Olaf Guest

    Hi!

    I would like to know if the following is normal:

    On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel with
    the selected cog. There's an evident angle. The angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests
    cogs. On the smallests cogs, the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.

    I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.

    Thanx

    olaf

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Hi!

    > I would like to know if the following is normal:
    >
    > On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel with
    > the selected cog. There's an evident angle.
    The
    > angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests cogs. On the smallests
    cogs,
    > the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.
    >
    > I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > olaf

    Sounds a lot like a bent derailleur hanger, or possibly a bent derailleur. You knock the bike over
    lately? Crash?

    Mike

  3. Olaf

    Olaf Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi!
    > >
    > > I would like to know if the following is normal:
    > >
    > > On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel
    > > with the selected cog. There's an evident angle.
    > The
    > > angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests cogs. On the smallests
    > cogs,
    > > the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.
    > >
    > > I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > >
    > > olaf
    > >
    > Sounds a lot like a bent derailleur hanger, or possibly a bent derailleur. You knock the bike over
    > lately? Crash?
    >
    > Mike

    Well, I crashed a while a go and the rear derailleur was definitly the victim since I had to replace
    the drop out. After that I brought the bike to my bike shop several times and after few changes
    (cassette, chain and some tightening of bearings and the rear hub), I think the shifting is OK but
    not as perfect as I want it to be.

    So what would be the solution? Can I straighten the hanger myself? Should I change the derailleur?
    Or can I change only the hanger?

    Thanx

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    olaf wrote:
    > "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Hi!
    >>
    >>>I would like to know if the following is normal:
    >>>
    >>>On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel
    >>>with the selected cog. There's an evident angle.
    >>
    >> The
    >>
    >>>angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests cogs. On the smallests
    >>
    >> cogs,
    >>
    >>>the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.
    >>>
    >>>I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.
    >>>
    >>>Thanx
    >>>
    >>>olaf
    >>>

    >>Sounds a lot like a bent derailleur hanger, or possibly a bent derailleur. You knock the bike over
    >>lately? Crash?
    >>
    >>Mike
    >

    > Well, I crashed a while a go and the rear derailleur was definitly the victim since I had to
    > replace the drop out. After that I brought the bike to my bike shop several times and after few
    > changes (cassette, chain and some tightening of bearings and the rear hub), I think the shifting
    > is OK but not as perfect as I want it to be.
    >
    > So what would be the solution? Can I straighten the hanger myself? Should I change the derailleur?
    > Or can I change only the hanger?
    >
    > Thanx

    I've done that with the park tool -- I bought it after a similar crash. You remove the DR and screw
    it into the DR mount. It has a long arm parallel to the wheel with a rod perpendicular to that. You
    adjust the rod to just touch the rim and then you turn it around the wheel to get the DR mount
    parallel to the plane of the rim by bending the hanger so that the rod is about the same distance
    from the rim over all over.

    I've done it by eye on the trail before and gotten the DR so that it shifts "ok", but when I get
    home and put the tool on it, I've found that I wasn't really that close -- and it shifts a lot
    better when it's right. My trail adjustments involve shifting into a gear that puts the tension arm
    straight down and then standing back and looking to see if the tension arm is parallel to the wheel
    -- carefully bending the hanger if it's not (that's one of the hard parts -- how to bend the hanger
    without overly stressing the DR and possibly breaking it!).

    David