Rear derailleur pulley not parallel with cog



Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Olaf

Guest
Hi!

I would like to know if the following is normal:

On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel with
the selected cog. There's an evident angle. The angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests
cogs. On the smallests cogs, the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.

I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.

Thanx

olaf
 
M

Mike S.

Guest
Hi!
>
> I would like to know if the following is normal:
>
> On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel with
> the selected cog. There's an evident angle.
The
> angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests cogs. On the smallests
cogs,
> the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.
>
> I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.
>
> Thanx
>
> olaf
>
Sounds a lot like a bent derailleur hanger, or possibly a bent derailleur. You knock the bike over
lately? Crash?

Mike
 
O

Olaf

Guest
"Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi!
> >
> > I would like to know if the following is normal:
> >
> > On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel
> > with the selected cog. There's an evident angle.
> The
> > angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests cogs. On the smallests
> cogs,
> > the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.
> >
> > I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.
> >
> > Thanx
> >
> > olaf
> >
> Sounds a lot like a bent derailleur hanger, or possibly a bent derailleur. You knock the bike over
> lately? Crash?
>
> Mike

Well, I crashed a while a go and the rear derailleur was definitly the victim since I had to replace
the drop out. After that I brought the bike to my bike shop several times and after few changes
(cassette, chain and some tightening of bearings and the rear hub), I think the shifting is OK but
not as perfect as I want it to be.

So what would be the solution? Can I straighten the hanger myself? Should I change the derailleur?
Or can I change only the hanger?

Thanx
 
D

David Kunz

Guest
olaf wrote:
> "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>>I would like to know if the following is normal:
>>>
>>>On my XT rear derailleur (9 speed), when on the largests cogs, the top pulley is not parallel
>>>with the selected cog. There's an evident angle.
>>
>> The
>>
>>>angle diminishes when shifting to the smallests cogs. On the smallests
>>
>> cogs,
>>
>>>the pulley seams to be "perfectly" parallel with the selected cog.
>>>
>>>I'm having small shifting issues and I was wondering if that was the problem.
>>>
>>>Thanx
>>>
>>>olaf
>>>
>>
>>Sounds a lot like a bent derailleur hanger, or possibly a bent derailleur. You knock the bike over
>>lately? Crash?
>>
>>Mike
>
>
> Well, I crashed a while a go and the rear derailleur was definitly the victim since I had to
> replace the drop out. After that I brought the bike to my bike shop several times and after few
> changes (cassette, chain and some tightening of bearings and the rear hub), I think the shifting
> is OK but not as perfect as I want it to be.
>
> So what would be the solution? Can I straighten the hanger myself? Should I change the derailleur?
> Or can I change only the hanger?
>
> Thanx

I've done that with the park tool -- I bought it after a similar crash. You remove the DR and screw
it into the DR mount. It has a long arm parallel to the wheel with a rod perpendicular to that. You
adjust the rod to just touch the rim and then you turn it around the wheel to get the DR mount
parallel to the plane of the rim by bending the hanger so that the rod is about the same distance
from the rim over all over.

I've done it by eye on the trail before and gotten the DR so that it shifts "ok", but when I get
home and put the tool on it, I've found that I wasn't really that close -- and it shifts a lot
better when it's right. My trail adjustments involve shifting into a gear that puts the tension arm
straight down and then standing back and looking to see if the tension arm is parallel to the wheel
-- carefully bending the hanger if it's not (that's one of the hard parts -- how to bend the hanger
without overly stressing the DR and possibly breaking it!).

David
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads