rear wheel drive-side spoke length

ellis

Guest
Is there a rule of thumb for how much shorter drive side spoke length should
be from non-drive side for a rear wheel? Let's say I have a 36h rim with
270mm spokes for front wheel for standard 3-cross lacing; same rim & hub for
the rear. If the non drive side is 270mm spokes, how long should the drive
side be? TIA.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:21:33 +0000, ellis wrote:

> Is there a rule of thumb for how much shorter drive side spoke length should
> be from non-drive side for a rear wheel? Let's say I have a 36h rim with
> 270mm spokes for front wheel for standard 3-cross lacing; same rim & hub for
> the rear. If the non drive side is 270mm spokes, how long should the drive
> side be? TIA.

Look it up on your spoke-length calculator. In general, the RHS spokes
are a couple mm shorter. In practice, it's not enough to matter.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is probably that television drama of high caliber and
_`\(,_ | produced by first-rate artists will materially raise the level
(_)/ (_) | of dramatic taste in the nation. -- David Sarnoff, 1939

ellis wrote:
> Is there a rule of thumb for how much shorter drive side spoke length should
> be from non-drive side for a rear wheel? Let's say I have a 36h rim with
> 270mm spokes for front wheel for standard 3-cross lacing; same rim & hub for
> the rear. If the non drive side is 270mm spokes, how long should the drive
> side be? TIA.

268mm if the rim is not off center frilled and the hub isn't some sort
of wierd close together flange type-

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:21:33 +0000, ellis wrote:
>
> > Is there a rule of thumb for how much shorter drive side spoke length should
> > be from non-drive side for a rear wheel? Let's say I have a 36h rim with
> > 270mm spokes for front wheel for standard 3-cross lacing; same rim & hub for
> > the rear. If the non drive side is 270mm spokes, how long should the drive
> > side be? TIA.

> Look it up on your spoke-length calculator. In general, the RHS spokes
> are a couple mm shorter. In practice, it's not enough to matter.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson

Disagree that it's not enough to matter. 2mm can mean spoke past
nipples or threads showing. Poor show for a competent wheelbuilder.

On 24 Sep 2005 06:07:04 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>David L. Johnson wrote:

>> Look it up on your spoke-length calculator. In general, the RHS spokes
>> are a couple mm shorter. In practice, it's not enough to matter.

>Disagree that it's not enough to matter. 2mm can mean spoke past
>nipples or threads showing. Poor show for a competent wheelbuilder.

Really cheap wheels are often built with all spokes the same size, though.
I've even seen cutters designed to cut off the bits of spoke protruding
from the nipple, once the wheel is built.

Jasper

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> ellis wrote:
> > Is there a rule of thumb for how much shorter drive side spoke length should
> > be from non-drive side for a rear wheel? Let's say I have a 36h rim with
> > 270mm spokes for front wheel for standard 3-cross lacing; same rim & hub for
> > the rear. If the non drive side is 270mm spokes, how long should the drive
> > side be? TIA.

> 268mm if the rim is not off center frilled and the hub isn't some sort
> of wierd close together flange type-

Or one of those weird frilled hubs... :)

Every rear wheel I've built for derailleur-esque bikes has had 2mm
shorter spokes ont he right side vs. the left side. It doesn't make a
whole lot of difference, but the wheel is close to correct dish when
you start to put tension on the spokes.

Jeff

On 24 Sep 2005 17:09:06 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Every rear wheel I've built for derailleur-esque bikes has had 2mm
>shorter spokes ont he right side vs. the left side. It doesn't make a
>whole lot of difference, but the wheel is close to correct dish when
>you start to put tension on the spokes.

Nope, I built American Classic hubs into Velocity Aerohead OC rims and
the spokes were the same size and almost the same tension on both
sides of hub.