Rear Wheel Purchase Advice: 700c

fjaffer

Jul 20, 2010
Wheel Details:

• The bike is a Greg Lemond steel frame.
  • There is a small crack is in the rear wheel, which has 7 speeds.
  • The current wheel is a VX-400 Araya 700c.
Riding Details:

• I love road-biking, riding the hills, usually about 7 hours a week.
  • I need something durable and a great value.
  • My goals is to purchase something and be able to put it back together myself.
Question:

• What should I buy?
Thanks for your time and sharing.

FYI. Most vintage 7-speed rear wheels have 126mm spacing ... so, that's probably true for your bike's rear wheel, too.

If you want to buy a new wheelset, then you will want to respace the frame to 130mm & subsequently realign the rear derailleur hanger. Neither is particularly difficult to do -- the only thing you need to know is that you should NOT use any additional leverage than you can provide with your upper body.

If you hadn't already thought about it, why not simply have a new rim laced onto the rear wheel?

A lot of people recommend the VELOCITY Arrow rims -- I've never used them.

I think that ALEX rims are probably better than most people realize -- they are available in a variety of profiles.

MAVIC rims are ubiquitous ...

I like AMBROSIO rims, but there is apparently only one source in the States unless a person can convince their local Colnago dealer (!?!) to order some Colnago labeled Ambrosio rims.

There are several other brands of rims, but they are no longer readily sourced in the States -- e.g., RIGIDA, to name one brand which I think is still readily available in Europe (at least, it was 10 years ago!?!).

If you aren't going to relace the front wheel, too, then you probably want to choose the rim whose profile most closely matches that of the Araya rim which it will replace.

Alex Rims would be a great choice. Perhaps a local bike shop will rebuild your wheel for a reasonable fee? I get years out of an Alex Rim (which are reasonably priced) on my commuter bike (which sees salty winter roads). And any bike shop will be able to order those in for you.

And Mavic would be another decent choice. I have both and they seem to last me quite well.