Receiver Location for PT SL

rjjasick

Nov 28, 2005
Does it matter if I mount my receiver on the chainstay instead of the seat stay? All the pictures I've seen shows on the seat stay. Mounting on the chain stay protects it a bit, but am wondering if there's a downside to that location. Brand new owner and looking forward to seeing how bad I suck... :)

I had mine mine mounted on the chainstay and found it interfered somewhat with the quick-release, especially if trying to do a fast wheel change.
Also, it may be a bit more prone to vibration there?

If you have a metal frame, vibration may be an issue. This can be solved by "hanging" the receiver from the chain stay rather than mounting it to the stay as recommended by Saris. This was how I solved my vibration problem once and for all. I haven't heard of vibration problems with CF frames. Other than that, it only matters that the receiver is within the transmission range of the hub. Anything within ~6" should be okay.

RapDaddyo said:
If you have a metal frame, vibration may be an issue. This can be solved by "hanging" the receiver from the chain stay rather than mounting it to the stay as recommended by Saris. This was how I solved my vibration problem once and for all. I haven't heard of vibration problems with CF frames. Other than that, it only matters that the receiver is within the transmission range of the hub. Anything within ~6" should be okay.
You can do a search on this subject as well as vibration issues and you'll find a bunch of info including RDO's neat hanger tip. BTW, I had vibration problems on a CF Colnago (as well as an older SLX frame). Cured it using the "foam" trick that your search will find.

JIM WV said:
You can do a search on this subject as well as vibration issues and you'll find a bunch of info including RDO's neat hanger tip. BTW, I had vibration problems on a CF Colnago (as well as an older SLX frame). Cured it using the "foam" trick that your search will find.
That's the first I have heard of a vibration problem with a CF frame. Interesting.

I have had mine on my chainstay (carbon) for several months, with good luck, no problems at all. It does not interfere with my quick release.

RapDaddyo said:
That's the first I have heard of a vibration problem with a CF frame. Interesting.

Same problem on my CF Louis Garneau 6.1. Foam pad fixed it.