recovery question

specialized31

Aug 3, 2006
I did a stage race this past weekend that consisted of 2 long road races and a time trial. I racked up 620 TSS points in the two days. Monday I took off completely and yesterday I did an easy 1 hr recovery ride. I had 3x20's scheduled today but 10 minutes into the first one it was clear that it wasn't happening. My resting HR was back to nomal this morning but there was still considerable fatigue in my legs. This is my first stage race since buying a pm so I wanted to see if 3 full days off was typical for a 600+ TSS weekend. My target races are still 6-8 weeks away so I was wanting to build off of this race as soon as I could.

specialized31 said:
I did a stage race this past weekend that consisted of 2 long road races and a time trial. I racked up 620 TSS points in the two days. Monday I took off completely and yesterday I did an easy 1 hr recovery ride. I had 3x20's scheduled today but 10 minutes into the first one it was clear that it wasn't happening. My resting HR was back to nomal this morning but there was still considerable fatigue in my legs. This is my first stage race since buying a pm so I wanted to see if 3 full days off was typical for a 600+ TSS weekend. My target races are still 6-8 weeks away so I was wanting to build off of this race as soon as I could.
And your question is???

specialized31 said:

Fayetteville eh?

i'll check when i get home to see what my totall TSS was, but that sounds right.

I would make sure you are almost 100% recovered before doing the 3x20's, you don't want to carry a lot of fatigue into the next week, if you can get the 3x20 @ your goal and you have a rest week next week, then it might be ok to do them a little more tired than you would normally.

are you doing belterra?
what cat?

specialized31 said:
This is my first stage race since buying a pm so I wanted to see if 3 full days off was typical for a 600+ TSS weekend.
Just depends...If you are racking up 600-800 TSS a week then do a 600 TSS weekend your legs will likely need a bit of time to recover. On the other hand if your training has 1000-1200 TSS weeks including back-to-back(block) 250-300 point days then your legs should be good to go sooner.

IMO 3 days seems like a lot of time off for a 600 TSS weekend but in the end if you listen your body it will tell you what to do.

just my 2 pesos...

specialized31 said:
What does your PMC say?

specialized31 said:

Dude, do you have your baseline #s from your power meter giving you your zones? Need to look at your ability to hold in those zones before if you're going to kick back into it that soon. If you can hold 3 x 20 in L4, rock on... If not, call it a day.. wait... come back for more another day....

jmocallaghan said:
Dude, do you have your baseline #s from your power meter giving you your zones? Need to look at your ability to hold in those zones before if you're going to kick back into it that soon. If you can hold 3 x 20 in L4, rock on... If not, call it a day.. wait... come back for more another day....
That's exactly what I did. 10 minutes into the first of three intervals I knew I was probably doing more harm than good so I shut it down. This morning I was back in business and hit all of my target numbers so apparently I just needed an extra day.