reflective vests

Patrick Mitchel

Guest
Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

"patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

Have one of these (I think Audax require them for their night rides) in bright flouro orange with
reflective silver bars. Didn't cost much and have only worn it once. Had to keep rearranging it when
I change a layer - have my doubts as to its value.

What I did buy and liked a lot was reflective ankle bands, reflective heels and side patches
(adhesive tape) for my shoes and a kick ass head and tail light both of which shine to the side as
well as the front.

Reflective tape on any thing moving works a treat when light hits it - the tape on your shoes is
just brilliant (no pun intended)

Guy in the sag wagon said I looked like a 2 wheeled Claude Neon memorial - but is gets ya noticed
and that's the name of game.

best. Andrew

> Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

I bought a yellow vest with reflective piping at Target for about $11. It has become my favorite
shell. It is virtually windproof so adds about 10 degrees of temperature protection when zipped all
the way up. It packs down to nothing so I can stuff it in a jersey pocket. I can layer it over a
jersey or over my other jackets (most of my jackets fit tight). The only negative is that it lacks
the long tail that a dedicated bicycling vest has, but for 1/3 to 1/6 the price I can live without
that extra inch of fabric.

Many people overlook vests when shopping for a jacket. For many, a vest is cost less money, and is
more useful. I also have a fleece vest for cooler mornings, but it does not have reflective strips.
+ Bill

Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all sorts of stuff), a vest can completely
deflate the "accident" excuse, if you're hit by a car and end up debating the driver's future in
front of a judge.

Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:
: Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all sorts of stuff), a vest can completely
: deflate the "accident" excuse, if you're hit by a car and end up debating the driver's future in
: front of a judge.

What does he say about blinkies at night?

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

"Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all sorts of stuff),
> : vest can completely deflate the "accident" excuse, if you're hit by a
car
> : and end up debating the driver's future in front of a judge.
>
> What does he say about blinkies at night?

I don't know...I never asked. I don't ride at night, so the issue never concerned me. Too much like
tempting fate. Of course, this is NY state, where blind people are permitted to drive. May be
different elsewhere.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all
sorts of stuff), a
> vest can completely deflate the "accident" excuse, if
you're hit by a car
> and end up debating the driver's future in front of a
judge.

That's nice to know, but the most important thing to rememeber is that a dead man cannot take the
witness stand (despite occasional evidence to the contrary).

Matt O.

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all
> sorts of stuff), a
> > vest can completely deflate the "accident" excuse, if
> you're hit by a car
> > and end up debating the driver's future in front of a
> judge.
>
> That's nice to know, but the most important thing to rememeber is that a dead man cannot take the
> witness stand (despite occasional evidence to the contrary).
>
> Matt O.

ROFL! Hence, the vest, which is just one more "edge", for what it's worth.

"patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

I don't think brand matters. I have the cheapest possible mesh day-glo orange thing with some shiny
reflective bands. It looks moderately dorky, but I find as a motorist, shiny reflective bands, even
teeny bits of them on the back of people's shoes, are much more noticeable at night than blinkies or
even typical bike headlights. Also, my everyday jacket is blue, not the world's most eye-catching
color, so if it's raining or otherwise dank out I'll throw on the vest just so I'll be more
noticeable. That, plus the green/yellow reflective stickers on the helmet I figure will help the
cars know I'm there.

I have no problem pulling off the jacket while keeping the vest on. I did it this morning and
yesterday morning at a stop light, for example, without much hassle. I then just stuff my jacket
into my front pack, and am ready to go before the light turns green.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Bill wrote:
> I bought a yellow vest with reflective piping at Target for about $11....

In a recent retail cycle? (How long ago?)

--Karen M. who was at Tar-zhay just this evening

In article <[email protected]>, "patrick mitchel"
<[email protected]> writes:
> Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

I'm really intrigued by these Kangaroo Vests: http://www.flashback.ca/products/personal.html

because they have pockets, and alleged superior glowability.

As a nerd, I've just gotta have pockets. In front. Somewhere to stow the slide-rule :)

cheers, Tom