reflective vests

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Patrick Mitchel, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

    Have one of these (I think Audax require them for their night rides) in bright flouro orange with
    reflective silver bars. Didn't cost much and have only worn it once. Had to keep rearranging it when
    I change a layer - have my doubts as to its value.

    What I did buy and liked a lot was reflective ankle bands, reflective heels and side patches
    (adhesive tape) for my shoes and a kick ass head and tail light both of which shine to the side as
    well as the front.

    Reflective tape on any thing moving works a treat when light hits it - the tape on your shoes is
    just brilliant (no pun intended)

    Guy in the sag wagon said I looked like a 2 wheeled Claude Neon memorial - but is gets ya noticed
    and that's the name of game.

    best. Andrew

  3. Billchin

    Billchin Guest

    > Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

    I bought a yellow vest with reflective piping at Target for about $11. It has become my favorite
    shell. It is virtually windproof so adds about 10 degrees of temperature protection when zipped all
    the way up. It packs down to nothing so I can stuff it in a jersey pocket. I can layer it over a
    jersey or over my other jackets (most of my jackets fit tight). The only negative is that it lacks
    the long tail that a dedicated bicycling vest has, but for 1/3 to 1/6 the price I can live without
    that extra inch of fabric.

    Many people overlook vests when shopping for a jacket. For many, a vest is cost less money, and is
    more useful. I also have a fleece vest for cooler mornings, but it does not have reflective strips.
    + Bill

  4. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all sorts of stuff), a vest can completely
    deflate the "accident" excuse, if you're hit by a car and end up debating the driver's future in
    front of a judge.

  5. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all sorts of stuff), a vest can completely
    : deflate the "accident" excuse, if you're hit by a car and end up debating the driver's future in
    : front of a judge.

    What does he say about blinkies at night?

    --
    'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all sorts of stuff),
    > : vest can completely deflate the "accident" excuse, if you're hit by a
    car
    > : and end up debating the driver's future in front of a judge.
    >
    > What does he say about blinkies at night?

    I don't know...I never asked. I don't ride at night, so the issue never concerned me. Too much like
    tempting fate. Of course, this is NY state, where blind people are permitted to drive. May be
    different elsewhere.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all
    sorts of stuff), a
    > vest can completely deflate the "accident" excuse, if
    you're hit by a car
    > and end up debating the driver's future in front of a
    judge.

    That's nice to know, but the most important thing to rememeber is that a dead man cannot take the
    witness stand (despite occasional evidence to the contrary).

    Matt O.

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Per my attorney (with whom I shoot the breeze about all
    > sorts of stuff), a
    > > vest can completely deflate the "accident" excuse, if
    > you're hit by a car
    > > and end up debating the driver's future in front of a
    > judge.
    >
    > That's nice to know, but the most important thing to rememeber is that a dead man cannot take the
    > witness stand (despite occasional evidence to the contrary).
    >
    > Matt O.

    ROFL! Hence, the vest, which is just one more "edge", for what it's worth.

  9. "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

    I don't think brand matters. I have the cheapest possible mesh day-glo orange thing with some shiny
    reflective bands. It looks moderately dorky, but I find as a motorist, shiny reflective bands, even
    teeny bits of them on the back of people's shoes, are much more noticeable at night than blinkies or
    even typical bike headlights. Also, my everyday jacket is blue, not the world's most eye-catching
    color, so if it's raining or otherwise dank out I'll throw on the vest just so I'll be more
    noticeable. That, plus the green/yellow reflective stickers on the helmet I figure will help the
    cars know I'm there.

    I have no problem pulling off the jacket while keeping the vest on. I did it this morning and
    yesterday morning at a stop light, for example, without much hassle. I then just stuff my jacket
    into my front pack, and am ready to go before the light turns green.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

  10. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I bought a yellow vest with reflective piping at Target for about $11....

    In a recent retail cycle? (How long ago?)

    --Karen M. who was at Tar-zhay just this evening

  11. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "patrick mitchel"
    <[email protected]> writes:
    > Comments on your favorite brands and why... Any particulars as far as pattern? Thanks Pat

    I'm really intrigued by these Kangaroo Vests: http://www.flashback.ca/products/personal.html

    because they have pockets, and alleged superior glowability.

    As a nerd, I've just gotta have pockets. In front. Somewhere to stow the slide-rule :)

    cheers, Tom