When running, walking or biking on roads at night wear reflective (or at least white) clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

He Who Walks

Night, dusk and dawn are defined as those times outside of daylight.

You need to be getting out there in outfits that allow drivers to see you if you are going to
violate the roads.

And with that I bid you a nice day and adieu.

CW2

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (He Who Walks) writes:
> Night, dusk and dawn are defined as those times outside of daylight.
>
> You need to be getting out there in outfits that allow drivers to see you if you are going to
> violate the roads.

I generally don't violate roads[*]. Been nearly violated by a couple of 'em, though.

Anyhow, it would be nice if night-time joggers who take to the streets instead of the sidewalks
would don something reflective. Just plain white fabric ain't good enough. Shadows fall on white the
same as on any other colour.

> And with that I bid you a nice day and adieu.

You too.

cheers, Tom

[*] I'm reminded of that Woody Allen line about how "it wasn't a moving violation".

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

someone unknown wrote: <You need to be getting out there in outfits that allow drivers to see you if
you are going to violate the roads.

AS far as I am concern it is the cars that are violating the roads and no the non-motorist. Also I
usually find that white or light clothing is much more visible than reflective clothing in dusk,
dawn or urban lighting.

Rod Raisanen Chillicothe Oh To reply remove garbage "He Who Walks" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
>
> You need to be getting out there in outfits that allow drivers to see you if you are going to
> violate the roads.
>
>
> CW2

I don't wear reflective clothing because I don't want to give them an easy target.

"He Who Walks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> violate the roads.
>
>
> CW2

"He Who Walks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> violate the roads.

Ah, with this talk of violating the roads, I thought it might be time to repost a version of
something I wrote earlier this year, regarding the

itself. Here is my reply:

The road does not copulate with itself. Rather, it is *you* who is partnered with the road.

Have you not had a day, where you get out there on your bike, and there is the road before
you, warm, inviting? It feels good, it smells good, it almost seems to taste good to be on
it. Some days you start out eager, knowing what lies ahead. Other days you start out a
little reluctantly -- surely you have better things to do -- clean the house, mow the lawn
-- but here you are anyway, your bike and the road together, and after a little bit you know
its going to be a good time.

There are days when you dominate the road. It does your bidding. You groove on your
control. There are other days when the road is your master. You submit to its demands. You
get a perverted pleasure from the pain of your burning legs, your oxygen-starved lungs
screaming for air.

In any of these instances, though, you with your bike, and the road, are lovers. The term,
"get off" as we all know, is a slang term that means to "derive pleasure". Thus, the
encouraging, if

"Enjoy yourself as you and the road make beautiful love together".

To take this a step further -- in many mystical traditions, the physical act of love is
understood as a metaphor for the spiritual union of human with the Divine. Can you ride as
if you and the Road are One?

The mudra of the single upraised digit is a reminder of this oneness: unity in Christ
Consciousness, being at one with the Tao, La illaha Il' Allah, Adonai Echad. Thus, when
someone makes this gesture at you, you should understand that they are wishing you the
experience of this ecstatic union.

The horn that is honked as the mudra is made is a meditation bell. Like a church bell, like
the call of the muezzin's voice, it calls you into this sacred space of union, of you, your
bike, and the road, as One.

Thus, when the motorist honks his horn, raises the single digit, and makes his sincere
invocation, you have but one response: to smile, to wave, and return to the joy of riding
your bike.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Rivermist wrote:
> I don't wear reflective clothing because I don't want to give them an easy target.

If there are more people out to purposely run you over then I would agree(but ask yourself why). For
the other set that would rather not run you over by accident, I'd jump into some reflective
clothing. Only you can measure the hate ratio.

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

It only takes one crazy guy to get you.

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
> Rivermist wrote:
> > I don't wear reflective clothing because I don't want to give them an
easy
> > target.
>
>
> If there are more people out to purposely run you over then I would agree(but ask yourself why).
> For the other set that would rather not run you over by accident, I'd jump into some reflective
> clothing. Only you can measure the hate ratio.
>
> --
> Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

Rivermist wrote:
> I don't wear reflective clothing because I don't want to give them an easy target.

In rec.bicycles.misc Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
: If there are more people out to purposely run you over then I would agree(but ask yourself why).
: For the other set that would rather not run you over by accident, I'd jump into some reflective
: clothing. Only you can measure the hate ratio.

i give your response a brandtian rating of 4/10. certainly a good start, but keep working if you
really want to get all the way there. in particuliar your last sentence implies you knew he was
joking. if you were serious then raise that to 7/10.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

> > I don't wear reflective clothing because I don't want to give them an
> easy
> > > target.
Overall, your odds probably improve with visibility.

However, there is a phenomenon I have experienced firsthand, where the disoriented driver actually
heads toward the bright object, simply because their head turns towards it. Just assume that every
car will do this until you see them move to avoid you.

Many vests do a poor job reflecting light from the sides.

> >
> >
> > If there are more people out to purposely run you over then I would agree(but ask yourself why).
> > For the other set that would rather not run you over by accident, I'd jump into some reflective
> > clothing. Only you can measure the hate ratio.
> >
> > --
> > Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]
>

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > > I don't wear reflective clothing because I don't want to give them an
> > easy
> > > > target.
> Overall, your odds probably improve with visibility.
>
> However, there is a phenomenon I have experienced firsthand, where the disoriented driver actually
> heads toward the bright object, simply because their head turns towards it. Just assume that every
> car will do this until you see them move to avoid you.
>
> Many vests do a poor job reflecting light from the sides.

But this will only help if you are directly in front of the car, by which time he would be able to
see your wheel reflectors as well. The problem is for him to see you while you are still approaching
him from the side, when his headlights won't be hitting you at all. A powerful headlight will help
this a lot.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:K0aCb.513886$Fm2.497694@attbi_s04...
>
> "He Who Walks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Night, dusk and dawn are defined as those times outside of daylight.
> >
> > You need to be getting out there in outfits that allow drivers to see you if you are going to
> > violate the roads.
>
> Ah, with this talk of violating the roads, I thought it might be time to repost a version of
> something I wrote earlier this year, regarding the

> itself. Here is my reply:
>
> The road does not copulate with itself. Rather, it is *you* who is partnered with the
> road.
>
> Have you not had a day, where you get out there on your bike, and there is the road before
> you, warm, inviting? It feels good, it smells good, it almost seems to taste good to be on
> it. Some days you start out eager, knowing what lies ahead. Other days you start out a
> little reluctantly -- surely you have better things to do -- clean the house, mow the lawn
> -- but here you are anyway, your
bike
> and the road together, and after a little bit you know its going
to
> be a good time.
>
> There are days when you dominate the road. It does your bidding. You groove on your
> control. There are other days when the road is your master. You submit to its demands. You
> get a perverted pleasure from the pain of your burning legs, your oxygen-starved lungs
> screaming for air.
>
> In any of these instances, though, you with your bike, and the road, are lovers. The term,
> "get off" as we all know, is a slang term that means to "derive pleasure". Thus, the
> encouraging, if

> "Enjoy yourself as you and the road make beautiful love together".
>
> To take this a step further -- in many mystical traditions, the physical act of love is
> understood as a metaphor for the spiritual union of human with the Divine. Can you ride as
> if you and the
Road
> are One?
>
> The mudra of the single upraised digit is a reminder of this oneness: unity in Christ
> Consciousness, being at one with the Tao, La illaha Il' Allah, Adonai Echad. Thus, when
> someone makes this gesture at you, you should understand that they are wishing you
the
> experience of this ecstatic union.
>
> The horn that is honked as the mudra is made is a meditation bell. Like a church bell,
> like the call of the muezzin's voice, it calls you into this sacred space of union, of
> you, your bike, and the road, as One.
>
> Thus, when the motorist honks his horn, raises the single digit, and makes his sincere
> invocation, you have but one response: to smile, to wave, and return to the joy of riding
> your bike.
>
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
>
> Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
>
> Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
>
Whoaaaa.

Heavy **** there Claire.

Kama Sutra for the bike next?

Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.