General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Reliable (referenced?) GI values

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 31 posts · 467 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 October 2007
Last activity
24 October 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
467
Views / 30 days
6
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. You are a spamming piece of [censored]. Shove your [censored] product up your ass until
    you choke on it.

  2. jcderkoeing said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Quoted message said:

    I am considering going on the low GI diet. I went on the Atkins a few
    years ago and I found it useful, but I have decided it may be too
    unhealthy.

    You're an idiot.

    Go remove yourself from the gene pool.

    HTH

    Why? Of course I know there may be people here who are attached to
    their diet, and we all have to make our own decisions in this life. I
    am quite sure that for many people the atkins is a great diet and will
    significantly improve their life expectancy. However to deny the
    existance of any risk would be dishonest. I particullar for me I
    worried about the ketosis. Long term low level ketosis can cause many
    problems, including eye damage and vasculitis (inflamation fo the
    blood vessels). In my case the tooth softening was a problem, and I
    baddly broke a tooth on a pork scratching that I am sure would not
    have been a problem before. I could not prevent ketosis during a long
    working day on the atkins diet.

  3. Quoted message said:
    Jackie Patti said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course I could be wrong, but I do not belive that considering the
    risk is idiotic.


    When fat is burned by the body, it produces ketones.

    There's simply no way on any diet to lose weight without ketones.

    That is not correct. Normally fats are utilized by convertion to the
    constituent fatty acids and glycerol, and these are used by the
    muscles (through a very complicated proccess involving the
    lipoprotiens (LDL and HDL). Ketones are produced when you do not have
    enough glucose stored in the liver and you need another energy source
    for the brain.

    No. If you are losing fat, you are producing ketones.

    Fats (triglycerides) break down into 2 components: glycerol and fatty acids.

    Glycerol itself forms a ketone after reaction with ATP and NDPH:
    dihydroxyacetone phosphate.

    Fatty acids are catabolised in cells first via fatty acid activation,
    then passed into the mitochondria and catabolised further via the
    beta-oxidation pathway, which removes 2 carbons from the fatty acid
    chain length in each pass. Each pass produces a molecule of acetyl-SCoA
    for input to the Kreb's cycle. (I'm ignoring what happens with
    odd-length chain fatty acids to simplify).

    If you burn a lot of fat, you produce a lot of acetyl-SCoA, more than
    the Kreb's cycle can burn. The liver converts excess acetyl-SCoA to
    acetoacetate and dumps it in the blood, resulting in ketonemia.

    Accelerated fat catabolism ALWAYS leads to hepatic production of
    acetoacetate from the excess acetyl-SCoA; it's just how the system
    works; if you have lipogenesis slowed down and lipid catabolism speeded
    up - you get ketonemia.

    --
    http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

  4. Quoted message said:

    Why? Of course I know there may be people here who are attached to
    their diet, and we all have to make our own decisions in this life. I
    am quite sure that for many people the atkins is a great diet and will
    significantly improve their life expectancy.

    This is not the Atkins newsgroup; it is the low-carb newsgroup. I, for
    one, don't do Atkins. I've read him and like some of his stuff, but
    it's very incomplete, poorly referenced and wildly out-of-date now that
    research has progressed and he's not been keeping up due to being dead.

    No one is arguing with you because of being Atkins fans, but because of
    stupid arguments you make.

    Quoted message said:

    However to deny the
    existance of any risk would be dishonest. I particullar for me I
    worried about the ketosis.

    Implying that there is a risk to ketosis is pretty dishonest. The twin
    sheep study you provided showed the dangers of starvation; during
    starvation ketosis occurs because body fat is burned.

    Unless you diet to starve yourself to death like an anorexic, the study
    doesn't apply.

    Quoted message said:

    Long term low level ketosis can cause many
    problems, including eye damage and vasculitis (inflamation fo the
    blood vessels).

    Please provide any reference that shows any of these occurring with
    ketosis (absent other problems).

    Quoted message said:

    In my case the tooth softening was a problem, and I
    baddly broke a tooth on a pork scratching that I am sure would not
    have been a problem before.

    You have no evidence whatsoever that ketosis had anything to do with it.

    Quoted message said:

    I could not prevent ketosis during a long
    working day on the atkins diet.

    Look, you don't have to like the Atkins diet. I don't myself. There's
    lots of low-carb or moderate-carb diets, Protein Power, Zone, CAD,
    Bernstein, EFLF, GI, etc.

    My own personal diet is based on very wide reading from a multitude of
    sources, with blood glucose readings primary since I'm diabetic.

    But you just can't SAY that Atkins causes all these problems without
    some actual evidence. And you don't have any.

    Entire generations of humans have lived and reproduced without any
    dietary carbohydrate or very minimal amounts.

    --
    http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jcderkoeing said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Quoted message said:

    I am considering going on the low GI diet. I went on the Atkins a few
    years ago and I found it useful, but I have decided it may be too
    unhealthy.

    You're an idiot.

    Go remove yourself from the gene pool.

    HTH

    Why? I am aware of the advantages of the attkins, and I am sure that
    for many people the weight loss on the atkins would significantly
    increase their life expectancy. But to deny that there is any risk is
    dishonest. I worried most about the ketosis. I found it impostble to
    go a long working day without getting ketotic. The risks of long term
    ketosis are significant, in particular eye damage and vasculitis. I
    blame the ketosis for softening my teeth, as I broke a tooth on a pork
    scratching that I am sure would not have been a problem prior to
    goiing on the atkins.

    This is all nonsense.

    Quoted message said:


    Of course I could be wrong, but I do not belive that considering the
    risk is idiotic.

    You are completely wrong, not just a little bit.

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jim said:

    Well, some of the things that you have mentioned have already been
    covered.

    There is no absolute necessity for carbohydrates to be in the diet
    according to the Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of
    Sciences, Washington DC.

    They also cite examples of cultures that managed to be healthy on
    virtually no carbohydrates, or very little carbohydrates.

    http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=275

    It is a proven fact that people can survive for long periods of time
    (decades) without carbohydrates. I am saying that I was unable to
    while working an 8+ hour day in an office.

    Quoted message said:

    The long term risks of ketosis are UNKNOWN from scientific studies, not
    SIGNIFICANT.

    A telling story is the belief you have of the softening of your teeth
    from ketosis.

    Lemon juice and coca cola are two liquids known to soften dental enamel.
    There are consumer reports that some of the whitening agents for teeth
    also soften enamel.

    I am not sure how this is relavent.

    Quoted message said:

    The connections between ordinary diet KETOSIS (not DIABETIC
    KETOACIDOSIS) and other diseases fail to crop up on short searches on
    Google. Diabetic ketoacidosis (with diabetes) certainly has known
    effects on the eye and general risks for several other organs.

    Please post any links you have to evidence for *dietary* *ketosis*
    causing the organ damage to which you refer.

    My experience is on the animal rather than human side. It is well
    known that acute dietry ketosis can be fatal, and is known as Twin
    Lamb Disease [1] in sheep. It is obviouly a very different case to
    cronic ketosis in a low carb diet. I shall try and find something
    more relavent, but the fact that some forms of ketosis are damaging
    surely means it is not totally stupid to cosider the risk of inducing
    another form.

    As I say, I sure the atkins is very good for many people, I have just
    choosen not to go down that road at this time. If the GI diet is not
    low carb enough for the question to be OT in this forum then fair
    enough, but to call me an idiot and suggest rather dramatic measures
    seems a bit over the top.

    [1] http://www.pipevet.com/articles/Pregnancy%20Ketosis.htm

    You're pretty clueless. Posting your nonsense here does put you in the idiot
    box. The real question is: Do you wish to stay there?

  7. Others have done a fine job of correcting your mistaken beliefs about
    the "risks" of low-carbing, so I'll skip ahead.

    There is no such thing as a reliable list of GI values, because they
    vary too much from person to person, and also because we rarely eat
    single foods in a vacuum. Food combinations matter; adding some fat to
    a carb will (generally) make the combo lower-glycemic than the carb
    itself was, for example.

    If you want to figure out what foods have a low GI *for you*, here's
    what you do (the short version): Get yourself a blood glucose tester and
    the stuff that goes with it, keep a journal tracking what you eat at
    each meal, and record your BG one hour and two hours after each meal.
    If the one-hour test is over 120, or if the two-hour test isn't back in
    the normal range of 70-100, then that meal was too "glycemic" for you.

    Here's the fun part: After all that blood-letting and writing everything
    down, unless you're part of that small minority of people with excellent
    insulin sensitivity (in which case you probably wouldn't have any reason
    to be here), you're going to end up with a list of acceptable foods that
    looks a heck of a lot like what you'd be eating on Atkins, Protein
    Power, or any other "risky" low-carb plan. You could save yourself a
    lot of work by starting with those plans in the first place, instead of
    hunting around looking for obscure studies that claim to find risks in
    ketosis by comparing humans to *sheep*, of all things.

    --
    Aaron -- 285/254/200 -- aaron.baugher.biz

  8. "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Others have done a fine job of correcting your mistaken beliefs about
    the "risks" of low-carbing, so I'll skip ahead.

    There is no such thing as a reliable list of GI values, because they
    vary too much from person to person, and also because we rarely eat
    single foods in a vacuum. Food combinations matter; adding some fat to
    a carb will (generally) make the combo lower-glycemic than the carb
    itself was, for example.

    If you want to figure out what foods have a low GI *for you*, here's
    what you do (the short version): Get yourself a blood glucose tester and
    the stuff that goes with it, keep a journal tracking what you eat at
    each meal, and record your BG one hour and two hours after each meal.
    If the one-hour test is over 120, or if the two-hour test isn't back in
    the normal range of 70-100, then that meal was too "glycemic" for you.

    Here's the fun part: After all that blood-letting and writing everything
    down, unless you're part of that small minority of people with excellent
    insulin sensitivity (in which case you probably wouldn't have any reason
    to be here), you're going to end up with a list of acceptable foods that
    looks a heck of a lot like what you'd be eating on Atkins, Protein
    Power, or any other "risky" low-carb plan. You could save yourself a
    lot of work by starting with those plans in the first place, instead of
    hunting around looking for obscure studies that claim to find risks in
    ketosis by comparing humans to *sheep*, of all things.

    I'm willing to bet that this advice will be ignored. We'll see.

  9. Quoted message said:
    jcderkoeing said:

    Go remove yourself from the gene pool.

    Why?

    You replied to the local troll.

    Quoted message said:

    However to deny the existance of any risk would be dishonest.

    Any? Sure. Specific risks? Different issue.

    Quoted message said:

    I particullar for me I worried about the ketosis.

    There are several bullet points that identify someone as
    incompetant on low carb matters. Complaints about ketosis
    is as the top of that list. When I first started reading this
    thread I thought maybe you were gullable and you had been
    tricked by idiots. Then I read your nonsense reference to
    sheep and I joined the majority understanding that you are
    clueless at best but more likely dishonest.

    Quoted message said:

    Long term low level ketosis can cause many problems,

    May? Nonsense. Cite any applicable result at all. Even
    one name in a medical case of a person who saw any
    problems caused by following the directions of any plan
    that uses dietary ketosis. It's okay, I'll wait. Dr A offered
    a similar challenge to the AMA back int he 1970s and the
    good doctor died still waiting.

    Quoted message said:

    including eye damage and vasculitis (inflamation fo the
    blood vessels).

    Confusing ketoacidosis and dietary ketosis, standard issue
    incompetance.

    Quoted message said:

    In my case the tooth softening was a problem, and I
    baddly broke a tooth on a pork scratching that I am sure would not
    have been a problem before.

    You have no evidence that ketosis caused your teeth to soften,
    so your assertion is made up nonsense.

    Quoted message said:

    I could not prevent ketosis during a long
    working day on the atkins diet.

    Ketonuria is the cornerstone of Atkins. Being on Atkins you are
    supposed to be in ketosis from early in Induction until you find
    your CCLL at the start of OWL. Then again until the end of OWL.
    Trying to stay out of ketosis while on Atkins would be like
    gorging on goat simmered in goat's milk while eating kosher.

  10. "Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    jcderkoeing said:

    Go remove yourself from the gene pool.

    Why?

    You replied to the local troll.

    If I was trolling, I would change my name and address for each post like
    Chung.

    Idiot.

    My advice is always more correct and concise than yours.

    Idiot.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    However to deny the existance of any risk would be dishonest.

    Any? Sure. Specific risks? Different issue.

    Quoted message said:

    I particullar for me I worried about the ketosis.

    There are several bullet points that identify someone as
    incompetant on low carb matters. Complaints about ketosis
    is as the top of that list. When I first started reading this
    thread I thought maybe you were gullable and you had been
    tricked by idiots. Then I read your nonsense reference to
    sheep and I joined the majority understanding that you are
    clueless at best but more likely dishonest.

    Quoted message said:

    Long term low level ketosis can cause many problems,

    May? Nonsense. Cite any applicable result at all. Even
    one name in a medical case of a person who saw any
    problems caused by following the directions of any plan
    that uses dietary ketosis. It's okay, I'll wait. Dr A offered
    a similar challenge to the AMA back int he 1970s and the
    good doctor died still waiting.

    Quoted message said:

    including eye damage and vasculitis (inflamation fo the
    blood vessels).

    Confusing ketoacidosis and dietary ketosis, standard issue
    incompetance.

    Quoted message said:

    In my case the tooth softening was a problem, and I
    baddly broke a tooth on a pork scratching that I am sure would not
    have been a problem before.

    You have no evidence that ketosis caused your teeth to soften,
    so your assertion is made up nonsense.

    Quoted message said:

    I could not prevent ketosis during a long
    working day on the atkins diet.

    Ketonuria is the cornerstone of Atkins. Being on Atkins you are
    supposed to be in ketosis from early in Induction until you find
    your CCLL at the start of OWL. Then again until the end of OWL.
    Trying to stay out of ketosis while on Atkins would be like
    gorging on goat simmered in goat's milk while eating kosher.

  11. sad ant said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Quoted message said:

    I am considering going on the low GI diet. I went on the Atkins a few
    years ago and I found it useful, but I have decided it may be too
    unhealthy. I want to find reliable figures for GI values of foods.
    Have found this [1] database, from the university of Sydney but it
    gives very varied results [2] and no references. I have a book [3]
    but it is completely unreferenced, does not give values and has some
    odd choices for the red, yellow and green columns [4].

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any sujestions for good sources of GI values of
    foods? It is important to me that it is usable, but more important is
    trustable. If it had references that would make trustable, but any
    suggestions would be great. I belive I have a reasnoble idea of the
    science of nutrition from a biological degree and further reading over
    some years.

    Quoted message said:

    [1]http://www.glycemicindex.com/
    [2]
    Potato, Russet Burbank, baked without fat (Canada) 56
    Potato, Russet Burbank, baked without fat (USA) 111
    [3] the Gi DIET Rick Gallop 0-7535-0775-7
    [4] hard margarine, vegetable fat in red, rapeseed and olive oil in
    green (other than the omega 3/6 levels which have little to do with
    wieght loss, these are almost identical nutrionally).
    Broad beans in red, boiled new potatoes in green.
    Grapes, which are far higher than other fruits in free sugars are in
    green.
    Ravioli and tortellini are in red, most other pastas are in green.
    When I make these things, pretty much the exact same ingedients go
    into them, and they are cooked for a similar time so why should the
    fact the the sauce is inside the pasta make any difference.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for any help,

    Quoted message said:

    Hugh

    HELLO FRIEND HELP IS ON THE WAY STOP WORRIING. I MIGHT HAVE THE
    ANSWERS TO YOU PROBLEM. HAVE YOU HERD OF THE MANGOSTEEN FRUIT? THIS
    FRUIT IS FORM THAILAND AND IT IS DOING AMAZING THINGS FOR PEOPLE. HERE
    ARE SOME WEBSITES YOU CAN GOTO AND DO SOME RESEARCH ON THIS FRUIT .
    WWW.DEMO.XPOWERPRO.COM WHEN YOU GET THERE CLICK ON THE GET STARTED NOW
    BOTTON THE CLICK ON PROSPECT TOUR DEMO BOTTON. AND YOU CAN ALSO VISIT
    WWW.CREATEMYSUCCESS.COM/JIMHURD/WEBCAST IF YOU WANT YOU CAN E-MAIL ME
    AT [email hidden] AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK THANKS
    AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

    Hi!

    Are you really an ant?

    c
    fascinating...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.