Repair a Nexus 7 gear hub?

Is it possible to repair a Nexus 7 gear hub that is slipping in the
gears? Aligning the gears does not help. I can change to all the gears
but when I pedal the gear looses it's grip for a moment before it
grips again, and then I can pedal some revolutions again without any
problem.

I had a Nexus 8, that went toast. Luckily it was under guarantee and I got
the internal mechanism replaced, but I was about to attempt a strip down
myself... glad I didn't as the hub was pretty much rust seized. I rode it
over the winter, but the bke shop asked me if it had been in a lake. Guess
they're not always that well sealed.

In my research, I cam across Sheldon Brown's pages. Might be of some use,
check out the Nexus 8 link from here..
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html

Good luck.

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:
> Is it possible to repair a Nexus 7 gear hub that is slipping in the
> gears?

Sort of... you can unscrew all the internals and put a new lot in
(assuming they're still available). I repaired mine that way. AFAIK,
the complete set of internals was the only way to do it and all the
little bits weren't available separately as spares.

--
Andrew

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it possible to repair a Nexus 7 gear hub that is slipping in the
> gears? Aligning the gears does not help. I can change to all the gears
> but when I pedal the gear looses it's grip for a moment before it
> grips again, and then I can pedal some revolutions again without any
> problem.

You have tried a new cable, haven't you? Nine times out of ten the
problem with hub gears are due to either the cable or the changer (and both
are a lot cheaper to change than the hub)

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://toomanybikes.com/address.jpg