Bike repair shops in/near Fishponds, Bristol?

Piers Kittel

Guest
Hello all,

Been meaning to take my bike in for a service for a while as the rear dérailleur was out of tune. My prostration was rewarded with the rear dérailleur control cable snapping. Bristol has a wealth of decent bike shops in the city centre, but I live at the edge of the city. I used to work in the city centre, and bought my bike there. But now I have recently moved jobs to Fishponds (near A432 Fishponds Road/Downend Road), and I don't know the area at all.

So... can someone recommend a good bike shop in this area to service and fix my bike?

Thanks very much for your time in advance!

Regards - Piers

Piers Kittel said the following on 10/10/2007 11:22:

> So... can someone recommend a good bike shop in this area to service and
> fix my bike?

It's a little bit out of the way from you (depending on how far you want
to ride with a snapped gear cable!), but Woods Cycles in Hanham is very
good.

Woods Cycles
62 High Street
Hanham
Bristol
BS15 3DR
01179 352042

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Oct 10, 11:22 am, Piers Kittel <[email protected]> wrote:
> So... can someone recommend a good bike shop in this area to service and fix my bike?

I don't know what the shop is called, or even the name, but...

Earlier in the year my family and I rode the Bristol-Bath cycle path.
My wife's bike got a very serious puncture that needed a replacement
tyre immediately, and a cashier in Morrisons near/in? Fishponds
recommended a small cycle shop. I *think* it was on Downend Road,
near junction with Pendennis Road. The mechanic there (he may have
been the shop owner) was gratious enough to drop what he was doing to
help us.

The only downer was that we misunderstood his directions to get back
to the cycle path so we ended up pretty much in Mangotsfield!

PhilD

--
<><

On 10/10/2007 11:22, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Been meaning to take my bike in for a service for a while as the rear dérailleur was out of tune. My prostration was rewarded with the rear dérailleur control cable snapping. Bristol has a wealth of decent bike shops in the city centre, but I live at the edge of the city. I used to work in the city centre, and bought my bike there. But now I have recently moved jobs to Fishponds (near A432 Fishponds Road/Downend Road), and I don't know the area at all.
>
> So... can someone recommend a good bike shop in this area to service and fix my bike?

Webbs of Warmley has a good reputation:
<http://www.bristolcycles.co.uk/>

Although they're only a few minutes walk from me, I've very little
experience of their servicing skills because I do most things myself.
The only time I've used them was to remove a crank that I was unable to
remove the retaining bolt for. I was pleased with the service on that
occasion.

I was also impressed when they refused to do something to a friend's
son's bike - I can't remember what it was, but when I heard about it I
agreed that it shouldn't have been done (I was familiar with the bike,
having serviced it after the friend bought it second-hand).

Coming from Fishponds along the cyclepath, leave the path at Warmley
station and turn right (towards Kingswood). You'll then find them just
after the second turning on the left.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

"PhilD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 10, 11:22 am, Piers Kittel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> So... can someone recommend a good bike shop in this area to service and
>> fix my bike?

> I don't know what the shop is called, or even the name, but...
>
> Earlier in the year my family and I rode the Bristol-Bath cycle path.
> My wife's bike got a very serious puncture that needed a replacement
> tyre immediately, and a cashier in Morrisons near/in? Fishponds
> recommended a small cycle shop. I *think* it was on Downend Road,
> near junction with Pendennis Road. The mechanic there (he may have
> been the shop owner) was gratious enough to drop what he was doing to
> help us.
>
> The only downer was that we misunderstood his directions to get back
> to the cycle path so we ended up pretty much in Mangotsfield!
>
> PhilD
>
> --
> <><

That sounds like Dave Bater in Downend
http://www.db-cycles.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
usenet.is.worse@plusnet says...
> Piers Kittel said the following on 10/10/2007 11:22:
>
> > So... can someone recommend a good bike shop in this area to service and
> > fix my bike?

> It's a little bit out of the way from you (depending on how far you want
> to ride with a snapped gear cable

Depending on where the cable is snapped you can often make the bike more
rideable by tying a knot in the right place. :)

> That sounds like Dave Bater in Downend
> http://www.db-cycles.co.uk

Yup it was that one. Went there, had problems getting a service booked, but they replaced my gear cable. £7.20. Hope that was reasonable... (I guess so as it was an on-the-spot repair)

Thanks to all for your suggestions - much appreciated! Didn't expect 5 or so in a couple hours though! :)

Regards - Piers

On 10/10/2007 18:37, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Went there, had problems getting a service booked, but they replaced my gear cable. £7.20. Hope that was reasonable... (I guess so as it was an on-the-spot repair)

I've no idea what the going rate would be, but that sounds like a price
I'd be happy to pay if I didn't want to do the job myself.

Expect it to need adjusting in a week or two - new cables stretch.