Rest days

G

OK, so it's like this. I'm trying to make myself have one rest day a week basically so I can recuperate for my other rides (47km to and from work 5 days/week, anything up to 250km on the other day, depending on where I feel like going). The thing is, I feel so damn bored right about now (about 6.15am).

All I seem to want to do right now is ride. Maybe I'll have to find myself a 10km errand to run today or something. How do you amuse yourself on rest days?

???

G

Sounds like your addicted, you habituated chemically dependent person ;D

Whats the temp like at 6am? down here its only friggen 2-5 degrees that time of the day ::)

G

Try these:
  • Take the rest day when you are most fatigued.
  • Do some active recovery - 30 mins to 1 hour of very light cycling or a short walk.
  • Go for a massage.

G

Whats the temp like at 6am? down here its only friggen 2-5 degrees that time of the day  ::)

Up here it's about 15 degrees or so. The thing is, we have people getting around in tracksuits at that time of day :eek:

Actually, I've been to parts of Queensland where it isn't nearly as hot as people think (like, 12 degrees in the middle of summer!!! Anyone else ever done any riding at Stanthorpe?)

G

Try these:
  • Take the rest day when you are most fatigued.
  • Do some active recovery - 30 mins to 1 hour of very light cycling or a short walk.
  • Go for a massage.

The first one could be a problem. As a commuter I don't always get to pick and choose my rest days ::) Maybe I'll just have to do one of those flat, stupidly easy rides every so often.

G

Sounds like your addicted, you habituated chemically dependent person  ;D

Whats the temp like at 6am? down here its only friggen 2-5 degrees that time of the day  ::)

Do you train during the week? I usually go out at 5am on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the weather is surprisingly pleasant in the mornings. (In JHB) :eek:

G

I know a bit what you mean Chris_L. Today is my rest day...Mondays...always. I was just saying to my friend earlier that I feel like I should be doing something. At least when I am at work, I can look forward to a good swim, bike, or run in the evening. And, on the weekends, it is my main event. Then, Monday hits. And, this was a particularly crappy one. I want a stress relief. I want to get out on the bike, jump in the pool, go for a run...but, it is rest day. I think what I love the most about my rides is going out and disappearing for a while. Riding along, watching the country unfold into fields of green, and escaping inside yourself.

That is why I don't like rest days. They may be rest for my body, but not for my mind. I know I need it, though. My legs remind anytime I hit a stairwell. It just sucks. But, I suppose it is a necessary evil. Believe me, you won't feel so cool when your legs cramp you out of a ride 50kms from home.

You aren't the only one, Chris_L. :)

G

Believe me, you won't feel so cool when your legs cramp you out of a ride 50kms from home.

I know. I've only ever had cramps on the bike once and it sucked. Mind you, that wasn't caused by overdoing it. The real reason was discovered when I got home and took my shoes off. I discovered five leeches swimming in a pool of my blood!

I'd gone for a walk in the rainforest at Lamington National Park earlier in the day, and evidently they'd climbed into my shoes and chewed their way through my socks.

G

I had this problem once, but now I work too hard to get any free time. :-[

In the past I would think about what I wanted to be doing off the bike when I was on it and use this as my rest activity. Somehow this never involved walking with leeches in my shoes! ;D

crankin

May 9, 2002
I agree that a rest day should be taken when one is most fatigued...but if you are peaking for a particular event, you may need two (or more) in the week before. I went from 25 hrs down to under 10 in the week before our state championships... Talk about being bored!!! I sometimes swim or go for a light hike-always get a deep tissue massage...not as relaxing as it sounds...ouch! But I can attest to "peaking" for a race, it is amazing what a body can do when it is fully recovered!

"Persistence", if you compete on Sundays you probably want to get on the bike and do a recovery ride Monday...just a light hour of spinning; it will help your muscles from tightening and prepare you for the next few hard training days.

ciao! :)

G

You should see how grumpy I get on my rest days. My colleagues often tell me to go and ride my bike so that my mood will improve. hehehe ;D ;D