RESTING HEART BEAT (experiment)

I have read that pro cyclist actually needs to continue cycling after they retired as their hearts generally tended to increase in mass while being a pro. When they then stop cycling the big heart isnt needed anymore and causes heart attacks.

Originally posted by Swimless
I have read that pro cyclist actually needs to continue cycling after they retired as their hearts generally tended to increase in mass while being a pro. When they then stop cycling the big heart isnt needed anymore and causes heart attacks.

Not only cyclistes but most of pro sportmen, especially long distance....

You should post your age here as well because knowing your HR is almost irrelevant unless you know your age, e.g. a very unfit 70 y.o guy may have a resting HR of 50, while a very fit kid may have a HR of 50. Big difference. If a kid had a HR of 32 like Lance then by the time they are his age it would come down even more assuming they contd. training.

I've been racing since mid summer, mine is 28. Although last week the heat in my house was out and after getting up and moving around for a half hour it was still 30, so I think it might be a little lower than that.

currently sitting at 48 bpm (25yrs old), but the christmas festivities might shoot me up to about 70 bpm resting. those people with resting heart rates of 35 and less must be some of the most musclularily lean and endurance fit people on the planet either that or they are close to death.

Originally posted by Palmeranian
people with resting heart rates of 35 and less must be some of the most musclularily lean and endurance fit people on the planet either that or they are close to death.

I use body-fat percentage as an indicator to pre-race condition.
Over the years I have found the way I 'look' has a bearing on the way I perform. Possibly psychological, then..

One thing for sure, the human species is a complex organism. What works for one.. and all that. Over in another thread there is an on-going debate on weight training and it's influence on cycling. Again, what works for one..

As for 'close to death', it sure feels that way sometimes :)

take care

I've been cycling for about 3 years now mtb first competing then I picked up a road bike and now I have been cycling heavy for the last 3 months. I know that in my prime I had a RHR of about 40 - 45. I went into hiatus for about a year and half and just started riding again for competitive reasons in late September. This morning I just happen to check it and was in the mid 50's I still have some way to go, but I'm getting there.

after lying down for 10minutes, my heart rate falls to around 45bpm. i have never checked it in the morning. i have been seriously biking for about 5 years now, im 18.

mine is in the mid to low 50's. i reckon you people with sub 40 HR's are in amazing condition cos i know how fit I am.

Towards the end of last years season I was seeing morning hearts rates between 33-35. (I'm 28y/o, 5ft11" and 67kg).

About 5 years ago I remember coming home from work and putting my Polar belt on to check my resting heart rate before I headed off down to the gym. The night before I had a pretty light evening meal and hadn't eaten all day. As I sat there and watched my heart rate stabilise, I literally nearly died when I saw 25!

Those were the days. Now i'm just getting old and at this time of year seeing 39 makes me feel good about myself!!!

Mine tends to rocket when right when I wake up but I've worn a Heartrate monitor when I'm sleeping and my average hr during that time tends to be around 57 bpm so I'm estimating a range of 50-65 during sleep. I have been able to pull my heartrate down to 48 when sitting in class during a lecture that bored me.
Thomas Davis