20mph.

So if you know the park well and ride in it from time to time, what's the
appeal? Is it just that it's relatively car free? Or is there a culture of
cycling that has built up over a while? Or is there something else I'm
missing?

Akin
--
akyak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

On 2007-07-28, Silicon Strawberry <[email protected]> wrote:
> I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today, as I haven't been there in a
> while. I was surprised to see the numbers of cyclists riding on the roads in
> the park. And I'm not just talking about casual cyclists - many of them were
> comfortably whizzing past me, and I reckon I must have been doing close to
> 20mph.
>
> So if you know the park well and ride in it from time to time, what's the
> appeal? Is it just that it's relatively car free? Or is there a culture of
> cycling that has built up over a while? Or is there something else I'm
> missing?

Well where else in London are you going to get miles in?

"Silicon Strawberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today, as I haven't been there in a
>while. I was surprised to see the numbers of cyclists riding on the roads
>in the park. And I'm not just talking about casual cyclists - many of them
>were comfortably whizzing past me, and I reckon I must have been doing
>close to 20mph.
>
> So if you know the park well and ride in it from time to time, what's the
> appeal? Is it just that it's relatively car free? Or is there a culture of
> cycling that has built up over a while? Or is there something else I'm
> missing?

I like to have a fixed route where I can pop out, whiz round RP once and get
home. It's got some noticeable hills and mostly the cars are respectful. As
a static route with a nice view and no traffic lights, it's a good place to
time yourself.

Personally, I believe that there should be *no* through traffic and If
people do want to do that, then pay a congestion charge. If anyone goes into
the park and leaves within 30 minutes, bill them. We'd see a very peaceful
place then.

What I don't understand is why people go to RP and do four or five laps.
That's gotta be a bit boring.

elyob wrote:
> What I don't understand is why people go to RP and do four or five laps.
> That's gotta be a bit boring.

Perhaps they're training for events longer than 10k ...

-dan

In message <[email protected]>
"Silicon Strawberry" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today So if you know the park well
> and ride in it from time to time, what's the appeal?

The nearest comparable bit of un-builtup scenery would be over an hours
ride from home rather than 20 mins. My favorite bit is the road across the
centre, closed to most motor vehicles with a view of Pen Ponds and White
Lodge. Nature, Art and Cycling - what's not to like !

Paul.

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

"Daniel Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>> What I don't understand is why people go to RP and do four or five laps.
>> That's gotta be a bit boring.

> Perhaps they're training for events longer than 10k ...

Hopefully that'll be a 100k tuit route ...

If I want to do a 30+ mile ride I'll pop down to the North Downs for some
serious training.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:11:19 +0100, "Silicon Strawberry"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today, as I haven't been there in a
>while. I was surprised to see the numbers of cyclists riding on the roads in
>the park. And I'm not just talking about casual cyclists - many of them were
>comfortably whizzing past me, and I reckon I must have been doing close to
>20mph.

Let's hope it wasn't more than 20mph!

Jim.

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Silicon Strawberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today, as I haven't been there in a
> >while. I was surprised to see the numbers of cyclists riding on the roads
> >in the park. And I'm not just talking about casual cyclists - many of them
> >were comfortably whizzing past me, and I reckon I must have been doing
> >close to 20mph.
> >
> > So if you know the park well and ride in it from time to time, what's the
> > appeal? Is it just that it's relatively car free? Or is there a culture of
> > cycling that has built up over a while? Or is there something else I'm
> > missing?
> >

> I like to have a fixed route where I can pop out, whiz round RP once and get
> home. It's got some noticeable hills and mostly the cars are respectful. As
> a static route with a nice view and no traffic lights, it's a good place to
> time yourself.

it's okay i sometimes after meeting my partner for lunch go up and round
the park and then back.

> Personally, I believe that there should be *no* through traffic and If
> people do want to do that, then pay a congestion charge. If anyone goes into
> the park and leaves within 30 minutes, bill them. We'd see a very peaceful
> place then.

not really viable as quite a number seem to drive to have a walk etc.
and if so would probably not leave wide smooth roads for bikes but bike
lanes...

> What I don't understand is why people go to RP and do four or five laps.
> That's gotta be a bit boring.

yeah, would certinaly for me.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Silicon Strawberry <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today, as I haven't been there in a
> while. I was surprised to see the numbers of cyclists riding on the roads in
> the park. And I'm not just talking about casual cyclists - many of them were
> comfortably whizzing past me, and I reckon I must have been doing close to
> 20mph.
>
> So if you know the park well and ride in it from time to time, what's the
> appeal? Is it just that it's relatively car free? Or is there a culture of
> cycling that has built up over a while? Or is there something else I'm
> missing?
>
> Akin

as well others points, rember that some of the clubs use it as training
grounds.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Jim Ley <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:11:19 +0100, "Silicon Strawberry"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today, as I haven't been there in a
> >while. I was surprised to see the numbers of cyclists riding on the roads in
> >the park. And I'm not just talking about casual cyclists - many of them were
> >comfortably whizzing past me, and I reckon I must have been doing close to
> >20mph.

> Let's hope it wasn't more than 20mph!
>
> Jim.

lets be honest cars and most bikes are doing 30mph + on many parts

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Paul Luton <[email protected]> wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>
> "Silicon Strawberry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I thought I'd go down to Richmond Park today So if you know the park well
> > and ride in it from time to time, what's the appeal?

> The nearest comparable bit of un-builtup scenery would be over an hours
> ride from home rather than 20 mins. My favorite bit is the road across the
> centre, closed to most motor vehicles with a view of Pen Ponds and White
> Lodge. Nature, Art and Cycling - what's not to like !
>
> Paul.

got to admit i have mixed feeling about richmound park, it's very
crowded and controlled. very unnatural indeed.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

"Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i20daw.1h2brvu7m02feN%[email protected]...
> elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Personally, I believe that there should be *no* through traffic and If
>> people do want to do that, then pay a congestion charge. If anyone goes
>> into
>> the park and leaves within 30 minutes, bill them. We'd see a very
>> peaceful
>> place then.

> not really viable as quite a number seem to drive to have a walk etc.
> and if so would probably not leave wide smooth roads for bikes but bike
> lanes...

You miss my point, allow traffic to come in for people to enjoy the park but
if they are solely just shortcutting through, charge them.

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1i20daw.1h2brvu7m02feN%[email protected]...
> > elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Personally, I believe that there should be *no* through traffic and If
> >> people do want to do that, then pay a congestion charge. If anyone goes
> >> into
> >> the park and leaves within 30 minutes, bill them. We'd see a very
> >> peaceful
> >> place then.

> > not really viable as quite a number seem to drive to have a walk etc.
> > and if so would probably not leave wide smooth roads for bikes but bike
> > lanes...
> >

> You miss my point, allow traffic to come in for people to enjoy the park but
> if they are solely just shortcutting through, charge them.

i would guess that it would be simpler if doing that to make car parks
at the gates, and block off the roads, rather than trying to keep track
of cars etc.

i suspect that with out cars you'd find that the road more of a shared
path.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

"Daniel Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>> What I don't understand is why people go to RP and do four or five laps.
>> That's gotta be a bit boring.

> Perhaps they're training for events longer than 10k ...

Or, heaven forbid, just trying to keep fit!

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1i20daw.1h2brvu7m02feN%[email protected]...
>> elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Personally, I believe that there should be *no* through traffic and If
>>> people do want to do that, then pay a congestion charge. If anyone goes
>>> into
>>> the park and leaves within 30 minutes, bill them. We'd see a very
>>> peaceful
>>> place then.

>> not really viable as quite a number seem to drive to have a walk etc.
>> and if so would probably not leave wide smooth roads for bikes but bike
>> lanes...
>>

> You miss my point, allow traffic to come in for people to enjoy the park
> but if they are solely just shortcutting through, charge them.

Perhaps the park has changed since I last used it, but where in it are there
'shortcuts'?

And you should bear in mind that some people may not be abe to walk far, and
go there to enjoy the scenery.

But as you sound like a fit and healthy person, you are just a selfish
beggar who doesn't want anyone else to enjoy whatever life they have left!

On 28 Jul, 19:02, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What I don't understand is why people go to RP and do four or five laps.
> That's gotta be a bit boring.

Two reasons for me.

1) It's not that boring. There's plenty to see and knowing knowing the
layout of the park means I can use it for training purposes, i.e.

One lap to warm up. Go up whatever Hill at x kph minimum, y kph on the
flat.

Next lap a bit faster. Up whatever Hill at x+2 kph min, y+3 kph on the
flat.

2) If I'm going on a long ride I usually take more stuff (tools,
spares,
clothes) with me in case something goes wrong and I'm 50km from home.

By doing laps of the park I'm never further than 8km from home so I
can do a long ride without taking much stuff with me.

-Alex

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:19:08 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:1i20daw.1h2brvu7m02feN%[email protected]...

>>> not really viable as quite a number seem to drive to have a walk etc.
>>> and if so would probably not leave wide smooth roads for bikes but bike
>>> lanes...
>>>

>> You miss my point, allow traffic to come in for people to enjoy the park
>> but if they are solely just shortcutting through, charge them.

>Perhaps the park has changed since I last used it, but where in it are there
>'shortcuts'?

Any road between any two gates? They're all a lot shorter than going
the long way round outside the wall.

>And you should bear in mind that some people may not be abe to walk far, and
>go there to enjoy the scenery.
>
>But as you sound like a fit and healthy person, you are just a selfish
>beggar who doesn't want anyone else to enjoy whatever life they have left!

The proposal makes park-and-enjoy free, but through traffic chargeable.
How does that penalize the disabled who want to enjoy the scenery?

Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:19:08 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:1i20daw.1h2brvu7m02feN%[email protected]...

> >> You miss my point, allow traffic to come in for people to enjoy the park
> >> but if they are solely just shortcutting through, charge them.

> >Perhaps the park has changed since I last used it, but where in it are there
> >'shortcuts'?

> Any road between any two gates? They're all a lot shorter than going
> the long way round outside the wall.

true though probably not much faster.

> >And you should bear in mind that some people may not be abe to walk far, and
> >go there to enjoy the scenery.
> >
> >But as you sound like a fit and healthy person, you are just a selfish
> >beggar who doesn't want anyone else to enjoy whatever life they have left!

> The proposal makes park-and-enjoy free, but through traffic chargeable.
> How does that penalize the disabled who want to enjoy the scenery?

i don't think the cars will make much differance to be honest. it's a
very busy park at least compared to bushy say.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com