riding after vasectomy

> It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
> that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
> could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
> and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
> x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
> them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
> they need to be pulled.

Ever since I was 15 I've had the dentist(s) telling me I had to get my
wisdom teeth removed, right then, or else it would be hell later. But I was
always suspicious of adults telling me stuff like that; I remembered in
school how they'd constantly be telling you that you had to do this or that
better because you weren't going to get away with it when you got to jr
high/high school/college. And seemed like things never did catch up to me.
So I figured the dentists were simply of a mindset that said wisdom teeth
had to go, whether they really did or not (kind of like how they used to
think everyone needed their tonsils removed).

So now I'm 49, have all 4 "wizzies", and every once in a while get some
soreness from a couple of them where they never really have broken the
surface. And one of the two that have is at quite an angle but hey, how many
people can chew with the side of their mouth? In retrospect, I should have
had them removed, as it would have reduced a lot of crowding.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
> that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
> could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
> and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
> x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
> them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
> they need to be pulled.
>
> BTW, I am not sure that kissing a girl trumps playing a full 60 minutes
> of full contact basketball.
>
> - rick

Thanks to all for the replies. Judging from others' responses I have
nothing to worry about.

And yes, I'm ignoring the doofus who seems to think a vasectomy is somehow a
threat to his (probably miniscule) manhood. I've now got plenty of kids who
I dearly love and have absolutely no interest in having any more.

I can't blame him for being misinformed. Heck, if the uninformed read most
posts in this thread he'd think a vasectomy is something that happens to
your teeth. :)

GG

<[email protected]>
: A "man" who deliberately wants to shoot blanks is the same as a eunuch

So, what happened to you that skewed your thinking like this? This isn't a
normal way of thinking.You sound kinda scared.

:

:
: So now I'm 49, have all 4 "wizzies", and every once in a while get some
: soreness from a couple of them where they never really have broken the
: surface. And one of the two that have is at quite an angle but hey, how
many
: people can chew with the side of their mouth? In retrospect, I should have
: had them removed, as it would have reduced a lot of crowding.
:
: --Mike Jacoubowsky

I was like you, although I had only 1 wisdom tooth (maybe I'm more
evolved....). Anyway, this dentist would say "Pull it!" and that one would
say, "It's not doing any harm; leave it alone." When I turned 45, it
decided to touch the tooth next to it (because it was at an angle, just like
yours) and then decay built up where the two teeth were touching. I had to
have it pulled AND got to have some intricate tooth work to save the next
tooth that it jammed up. So, don't count your blessings just yet.

Pat in TX

I will not be so forgiving. If you search the archives, you will see
that this subject was discussed in this group a mere 3-3.5 months back
.... and he made the same idiotic comments back then that lots of folks
corrected at that time. First time we can forgive, but since he either
cannot read, or decided to ignore the correction, we will have to lay
some blame on the dude.

- rick

[email protected] wrote:
> It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
> that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
> could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
> and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
> x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
> them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
> they need to be pulled.
>
> BTW, I am not sure that kissing a girl trumps playing a full 60 minutes
> of full contact basketball.
>
> - rick

The basketball probably takes it but it sure was a memorable kiss. About
that time she (Cathy) started calling the Everly Brothers' song 'Cathy's
Clown' our song. I never did live down that kiss.
Cheers,
Bill Baka

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
>>that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
>>could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
>>and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
>>x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
>>them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
>>they need to be pulled.

> Ever since I was 15 I've had the dentist(s) telling me I had to get my
> wisdom teeth removed, right then, or else it would be hell later. But I was
> always suspicious of adults telling me stuff like that; I remembered in
> school how they'd constantly be telling you that you had to do this or that
> better because you weren't going to get away with it when you got to jr
> high/high school/college. And seemed like things never did catch up to me.
> So I figured the dentists were simply of a mindset that said wisdom teeth
> had to go, whether they really did or not (kind of like how they used to
> think everyone needed their tonsils removed).
>
> So now I'm 49, have all 4 "wizzies", and every once in a while get some
> soreness from a couple of them where they never really have broken the
> surface. And one of the two that have is at quite an angle but hey, how many
> people can chew with the side of their mouth? In retrospect, I should have
> had them removed, as it would have reduced a lot of crowding.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
>>that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
>>could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
>>and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
>>x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
>>them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
>>they need to be pulled.
>>
>>BTW, I am not sure that kissing a girl trumps playing a full 60 minutes
>>of full contact basketball.
>>
>>- rick

Kind of makes you wonder how people got along before modern dentistry
and routine tonsillectomies (6 years old for me). Why not just do it all
at once and go for the appendix while you're out? Good old modern medecine.
Bill Baka

Rich wrote:
> bbaka wrote:
>
>> I have you beat ...

> Who would have guessed.
>
> Rich

I never had a vasectomy but a friend did and couldn't ride his
motorcycle for a week. Nobody cuts me down there!!!!
Bill Baka

Rich <[email protected]> wrote in news:115u6rt27udee48
@corp.supernews.com:

> bbaka wrote:
>
>> I have you beat ...

> Who would have guessed.
>
> Rich

Hey that's my line.

Mike Latondresse wrote:
> Rich <[email protected]> wrote in news:115u6rt27udee48
>>bbaka wrote:
>>
>>>I have you beat ...

>>Who would have guessed.

> Hey that's my line.

Oops. Sorry. Next time (probably tomorrow) you can use it.

[email protected] wrote:
> A "man" who deliberately wants to shoot blanks is the same as a

eunuch

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
May I say you have alot of armor. I don't understand if you are truly
this ignorant or you are just trying to get a rise out of people. Some
men should be shooting blanks so their ignorance stops with them and
does not carry over to the next generation. A man who has a vasectomy
for the woman he loves is a real man. Something I doubt you understand.

Maggie

GG wrote:
Heck, if the uninformed read most
> posts in this thread he'd think a vasectomy is something that happens

> your teeth. :)
>
> GG

Yea go figure, You start a thread about a vesectomy and it ends up in
the mouth. ;-)
Maggie

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
>>that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
>>could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
>>and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
>>x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
>>them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
>>they need to be pulled.

> Ever since I was 15 I've had the dentist(s) telling me I had to get my
> wisdom teeth removed, right then, or else it would be hell later. But I was
> always suspicious of adults telling me stuff like that; I remembered in
> school how they'd constantly be telling you that you had to do this or that
> better because you weren't going to get away with it when you got to jr
> high/high school/college. And seemed like things never did catch up to me.
> So I figured the dentists were simply of a mindset that said wisdom teeth
> had to go, whether they really did or not (kind of like how they used to
> think everyone needed their tonsils removed).
>
> So now I'm 49, have all 4 "wizzies", and every once in a while get some
> soreness from a couple of them where they never really have broken the
> surface. And one of the two that have is at quite an angle but hey, how many
> people can chew with the side of their mouth? In retrospect, I should have
> had them removed, as it would have reduced a lot of crowding.

I'm floored by the awesome thread response since I
rarely post in here.

After talking to the Oral Surgeon today I'm
leaning towards leaving them in - my dentist wants
them pulled because I have a cavity in one of them
(my first cavity that needs a filling, at age
31), and she claims they're just too hard to clean.

However, since they're in straight and not
impacted at all my insurance won't pay for the
general anesthesia, meaning my total out-of-pocket
expense for the procedure is going to run close to
$800, pretty pricey for a cavity!

I think I'm just going to get a filling and pay
extra attention to keeping them clean, as I can
always have them taken out later.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

Scott Johnson wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>>> It is not a question of parents thinking so in most cases. I was told
>>> that I would NEVER need my pulled, then six months later woke up and
>>> could not open my jaw because the teeth were impacted into the jaw bone
>>> and prevented normal jaw function. It is usually clear in a full mouth
>>> x-ray if the teeth will become an issue soon; if there is not room for
>>> them without impacting the jaw or pushing other teeth to the side, then
>>> they need to be pulled.

>> Ever since I was 15 I've had the dentist(s) telling me I had to get my
>> wisdom teeth removed, right then, or else it would be hell later. But
>> I was always suspicious of adults telling me stuff like that;

Dentists make a lot of money from those 'needed' procedures.
>> remembered in school how they'd constantly be telling you that you had
>> to do this or that better because you weren't going to get away with
>> it when you got to jr high/high school/college. And seemed like things
>> never did catch up to me. So I figured the dentists were simply of a
>> mindset that said wisdom teeth had to go, whether they really did or
>> not (kind of like how they used to think everyone needed their tonsils
>> removed).
>>
>> So now I'm 49, have all 4 "wizzies", and every once in a while get
>> some soreness from a couple of them where they never really have
>> broken the surface. And one of the two that have is at quite an angle
>> but hey, how many people can chew with the side of their mouth? In
>> retrospect, I should have had them removed, as it would have reduced a
>> lot of crowding.

> I'm floored by the awesome thread response since I rarely post in here.
>
> After talking to the Oral Surgeon today I'm leaning towards leaving them
> in - my dentist wants them pulled because I have a cavity in one of them
> (my first cavity that needs a filling, at age 31), and she claims
> they're just too hard to clean.
>
> However, since they're in straight and not impacted at all my insurance
> won't pay for the general anesthesia, meaning my total out-of-pocket
> expense for the procedure is going to run close to $800, pretty pricey
> for a cavity!
>
> I think I'm just going to get a filling and pay extra attention to
> keeping them clean, as I can always have them taken out later.

Keep the teeth, they may be the last to go when you are 90.
Bill Baka

> I'm floored by the awesome thread response since I rarely post in here.
>
> After talking to the Oral Surgeon today I'm leaning towards leaving them
> in - my dentist wants them pulled because I have a cavity in one of them
> (my first cavity that needs a filling, at age 31), and she claims they're
> just too hard to clean.

In general it's the dental hygenists that want the wisdom teeth pulled, for
the very reason you state- that they're too hard to keep clean. I had one
that, during teeth cleaning/scraping/whatever you want to call it, would
make a point of doing everything possible to inflict pain back there while
cleaning, claiming that it would be so much easier for me if I had them
pulled. For a while I thought maybe she was right, but when I changed
dentists, the cleaning process was far less painful, and they told me it was
no big deal leaving them in; if they got really bad, fine, remove 'em then.

By the way, for cleaning back there, that silly new Oral-B electric
toothbrush with the rotating bristles seems to do a very good job.

> However, since they're in straight and not impacted at all my insurance
> won't pay for the general anesthesia, meaning my total out-of-pocket
> expense for the procedure is going to run close to $800, pretty pricey for
> a cavity!

$800 for a run-in with a dentist isn't that big a deal as you get older.
Actually you're in pretty decent shape, since you don't have a mouthful of
cavities. If you were like me, you'd discover the big lie (or at least
untold truth) about dental work- it's all temporary! All those filling I've
had over the years... they eventually crack and become candidates for
crowns. And those run about $800 each.

[email protected] wrote:

> BTW, I am not sure that kissing a girl trumps playing a full 60 minutes
> of full contact basketball.

Well, in my days we didn't have things as easy as that. I had to
remove all four my wisdom teeth myself with a round rock (used for my sling)
while I was watching the sheep. If one of them buggers strayed, I'd
have had worse problems than 4 wisdom teeth.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (247 of 636)
-> You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

think as was off for 3 days, never noticed it then or since biking.this is
for an in office procedure

"GG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hey guys, I'll be going for the snip soon, unfortunately right at the
> start
> of prime riding season around here.
> If any of you had a vasectomy, how long did it keep you off your bike, and
> was there any noticeable change in riding comfort later on? Or is this
> pretty much a non-issue?
>
> TIA
> GG
> --
> Hey, what's this button for...vv55&C
> x66h&52&
> rccc898==6
> NO CARRIER

On 14 Apr 2005 11:18:58 -0700, "jhas" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Your mileage may vary. I had all 4 of mine out, including two badly
>impacted lowers that the surgeon had to crack into pieces to remove. I
>had no visible swelling, and only mild (Tylenol type) pain. So maybe
>you'll get lucky. I hope so.

At the risk of sounding like a usenet cop wannabe, you might give
careful consideration to including more context or changing the
subject. Just look at the subject and second sentence...

Pat

Email address works as is.

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2005 11:18:58 -0700, "jhas" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Your mileage may vary. I had all 4 of mine out, including two badly
>>impacted lowers that the surgeon had to crack into pieces to remove. I
>>had no visible swelling, and only mild (Tylenol type) pain. So maybe
>>you'll get lucky. I hope so.

> At the risk of sounding like a usenet cop wannabe, you might give
> careful consideration to including more context or changing the
> subject. Just look at the subject and second sentence...
>
> Pat
>
> Email address works as is.

ROFL